Economics of Health Services
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Introduction to Economics of medical facilities, main terms. Investments in healthcare - economic balance. Investment planning and management, interconnection between maintenance and investments, contracts. Costs incurred by legislation and mere operation of the technology. Return on investments, risk analysis. Commodity knowledge of consumables and spare parts. Prices of medical devices consumables and tools.
Terms of graded credit:
Attendance min. 85 % of the seminars, submission of the semestral work as required.
Rating: 100 % (max 100 points) score of the best test from a two ones, including mandatory defence of the semestral work and possible correction during the oral examination within the graded credit (classified assessment).
Overall rating according to the grading scale A-F of the CTU.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction to Economics of medical facilities, main terms
2. Investments in healthcare - economic balance
3. Investment planning and management, Interconnection btw maintenance and investments, Contracts
4. Costs incurred by legislation and mere operation of the technology
5. Return on investments, risk analysis
6. Commodity knowledge of consumables and spare parts (SP)
7. Prices of medical devices consumables and tools
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Expert opinion, assigning the topic of the semetral work
2. Valuation of long-term fixed assets, lifespan, depreciation curve
3. Test No. 1, evaluation of the test, explanation of the right answers
4. Maintenance of devices,manufacturer, distributor, importer, authorised representative, service calculation
5. Test No. 2, evaluation of the test, explanation of the right answers
6. Technical specification for the purchase of ECG device
7. Defence of the semestral work
- Study Objective:
The subject should make students acquainted with the structure of medical establishment, ways of financing and essential principles of medical establishment economic government.
- Study materials:
 FOLLAND, Sherman, Allen C. GOODMAN a Miron STANO. The economics of health and health care. Seventh Edition. Harlow: Pearson, 2014. ISBN 978-1-292-02051-8.
 DRUMMOND, Michael. Methods for the economic evaluation of health care programmes. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005. Oxford medical publications. ISBN 0-19-852945-7.
 CHATBURN, Robert L. Handbook for health care research. 2nd ed. Sudbury: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, c2011. ISBN 978-0-7637-7805-7.
 The Oxford handbook of health economics. Editor Sherry GLIED, editor Peter SMITH. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011. ISBN 978-0-19-923882-8.
 ZWEIFEL, Peter, Friedrich BREYER a Mathias KIFMANN. Health economics. 2nd ed. Dordrecht: Springer, c2009. ISBN 978-3-540-27804-7
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Technician - full time study in English (compulsory elective course)