Physical Chemistry 3
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Nuclear Chemistry
Description and explanation of laws affecting behaviour of particles systems is given at the start. Subsequently, molecular level of particles systems is described. Study of kinetic behaviour of matter based on its inner structure, properties of structural elements, mutual interactions and force fields follows. Practical applications and basic calculations are shown.
Fundamentals of physical chemistry
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Principles of molecular chaos.
2. Boltzmann distribution, partition functions.
3. Classical equipartition theorem.
4.Kinetic derivation of temperature.
5. Pressure of ideal gas.
6. Kinetic description of matter in the aggregate states.
7. Maxwell - Boltzmann distribution law and its consequencies.
8. Molecular collisions, intermediate free path of molecules.
9. Transport processes in gases.
10. Kinetic concept of real gas.
11. Ideal liquid, theoretical aspects of liquid state.
12. Flow properties of liquids, liquid crystals and gasses.
13. Particles movement in liquidsm, Einstein - Smoluchowski relation.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Formulating of partition functions
2. Calculations of ideal and real gas pressure
3. Calculating of molecular speed
4. Calculation of effusion
5. Application of kinetic theory and equipartition
6. Determination of system energy
7. Calculations of diffuion
8. Calculations of thermal conductivity
9. Calculations of viscosity
- Study Objective:
Students get knowledge of kinetic model of gases and liquids, and relations of molecular speed, pressure and temperature. They get competence in practical calculations (effusion, molecular speed, intramolecular collisions).
- Study materials:
M. Pospíšil: Kinetic Theory of Matter, CTU Publishing House, Prague, 1997
P. Atkins, J. de Paula: Atkins? Physical
Chemistry, Oxford University Press, 7th Edition, 2002
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: