Practical Exercises in Microbiology
- Garant předmětu:
- Department of Nuclear Chemistry
The first part of practical exercises is devoted to the principles of microbiological work, cultivation of micro-organisms, morphology and cytology of micro-organisms. In the the next part, the students observe the influence of external conditions on micro-organisms and they learn to isolate the micro-organisms as well as to evaluate of cell count in environment. Finaly, the attention is devoted to study of micro-organism growth, fundamental genetics preparations, host strains of Escherichia coli and identification of micro-organisms.
Fundamental knowledge of biochemistry
- Syllabus of lectures:
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Safety precautions in microbiological laboratory. Preparation of ster
sterile instruments. Defined and complex media. Preparation and sterilization
of various cultivation and diagnostic media. Methods for inoculation of selected
types of germs and yeasts. Light microscopy of untreated and dyed samples of
germs and yeasts. Dying according to Gram for selected germ strains.
2. Methods of micro-organisms isolation. Isolation of pure strains from
from mixture. Microscopy of yeasts - types of vegetative propagation of yeasts.
Colouring of yeasts with methylene blue. Methods of yeast counting in counting
3. Factors affecting germ growth. Influence of temperature, organic dyes
dyes, UV and antibiotics on growth and propagation of micro-organisms.
Principles of germ count determination in food. Introduction to ISO.
4. Identification of isolated germ and yeast strains. Biochemical test
tests of isolated samples. Use of ENTERO-test for their identification.
Introduction to moulds morphology. Use of microscope for classification of
common moulds. Principles of system and identification of moulds.
5. Growth curve of micro-organisms. Calculation of growth rate from expe
experimental data - cultivation of E. coli, determination of optical density.
Determination of growth rate, lag phase and generation time.
6. Modern fast methods for identification. Removal of all used strains and
and media, washing of used chemical glass. Exam test. Evaluation of knowledge
and results of work. Credit.
- Study Objective:
To acquaint the students with a basic practice in microbiology lab
- Study materials:
K. Demnerová et al.:Laboratory course in microbiology, skripta VŠCHT, 1998
T. R. Johnson, Ch. L. Case: Laboratory Experiments in Microbiology, 8. Edition,
Benjamin Cummings, March 2006
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Jaderná chemie (elective course)