General Chemistry and Basic Laboratory Calculations
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Introduction to chemistry, categorization and properties of substances, chemical bonds, chemical reactions, elements in periodic table, organic chemistry fundamentals, natural substances, polymers, analytical methods - instrumental analysis, chemical calculations, chemical equations.
Conditions of credit:
Obligatory and active attendance at all tutorials. Absences are acceptable for serious reasons only and must be apologized and recompensed. Student has to come in time. For each lab session working out a report in corresponding quality.
Grading test (including chemical nomenclature and chemical calculation) at least for 75%.
For the attendance at each lab session student has to pass an entrance test at least for 60 %. In the other way, he has to recompense the session with the test on an other date. An entrance test could contain the topics from the actual lecture and from the base and instructions for the labo session.
Examination conditions: Student has to pass a written test comprising the topics discussed during the lectures and tutorials, including assigned individual study. The exam is graded according to the ECTS scale, to pass the exam, the test must be evaluated at least at 50 %.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Subject and objective of chemistry, definitions, physical value, conformation of atoms, periodic system of elements.
2. Clasification and characteristics of chemical materials, compounds, solutions, theory of acids and alkali, state of matter.
3. Chemical bonds, conformation of molekuls. Chemical reactions - types, reaction kinetics.
4. Clasification of chemical elements, Periodic table of elements..
5. Chemical kinetics and thermodynamics.
6. Theories of acids and bases.
8. s- and p-block elements, biological importance
9. d- and f-block elements, biological importance.
10. Introduction to organic chemistry
11. Reaction mechanism in organic chemistry
13. Derivatives of hydrocarbons.
14. Natural compounds.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to Work in Chemical Laboratory and Laboratory Safety Course
2. Basic laboratory operations.
3. Determination of cations
4. Determination of anions
5. Properties of organic compounds
6. Properties of Acids and Bases
7. Chemical Nomenclature and balancing redox equation
8. Basis chemical calculation - mass fraction
9. Basis chemical calculation - molarity
10. Basic chemical calculation - stoichiometric calculations
11. Basis chemical calculation - volumetric calculations
12. Calculation of pH
13. Calculation in electrochemistry
- Study Objective:
Mastering of chemical knowledge. Mastering of basic chemistry overview, conformation of atoms and its relations with particular characteristics of elements, usage in practice, organic chemistry. To get knowledge and practical skills in analytical chemistry. Important part is mastering of common calculation process in laboratory praktice as well as in theoretical researches.
- Study materials:
Ralph A. Burns: Fundamentals of Chemistry (4th Edition). Prentice Hall; 4 edition (2002). 746 s.
Ralph A. Burns: Fundamentals of Chemistry in the Laboratory (4th Edition). Prentice Hall; 4 edition, 2002
 John W. Pluemer: Fundamentals of Chemistry. Lulu Marketplace. 2005. 125 s.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Medical Laboratory Technician - full-time study (compulsory course)