Electromagnetic Fields of Living Organisms
- Grading of the course requires grading of the following courses:
- Biological Signals (17PBBBLS)
Medical Devices and Equipments I (Diagnostic Devices) (17PBBLPZ1)
- Jan Vrba, Peter Kneppo (guarantor)
- Jan Vrba, Ondřej Fišer, Tomáš Pokorný
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Fundamental physical knowledge and electrostatic and magnetic field equations. Anatomical and physiological fundamentals of bioelectromagnetism. Bioelectric sources and conductive environment. Electrodynamics of bioelectrical fields, electrodynamic aspects of mathematical modeling of the electrocardiography and electroencephalography. Topographical concepts of bioelectrical and biomagnetical measurement. Measurement methods. Stimulation.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Basic physics attainments and equations.
2. The electromagnetic field, current and stationary magnetic field.
3. The non-stationary field, the electromagnetic waves.
4. The electrodynamics of moving mediums.
5. Application of theory of electromagnetic field in the biology.
6. Anatomical and physiological primer of bioelectromagnetism.
7. Bioelectric sources and conducting medium.
8. Integral equations of electrodynamics of bioelectric fields.
9. Electrodynamics aspects of mathematical modelling of electrocardiography.
10. Electrodynamics aspects of mathematical modelling of electroencephalography.
11. A topological conception of bioelectric measurement.
12. A topological conception of biomagnetic measurement.
13. Methods and techniques of measurement.
14. An electric and a magnetic stimulation.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
The tutorials are grouped into two hours blocks. There are three lectures oriented on practise of tasks solution. Furthermore, there are two practical seminars at faculty laboratories and two excursions at health care institutions.
1., 2. Numerical tasks in electrostatic field.
3., 4. Numerical tasks in stationary electric field.
5., 6. Numerical tasks in stationary magnetic and electromagnetic field.
7., 8. Measuring of skin conductivity, practical laboratory seminar.
9., 10. A mapper of cardio electric activity, practical laboratory seminar.
11., 12. An excursion.
13., 14. An excursion.
- Study Objective:
The goal of this subject is to inform students about theory of an electric and magnetic field and illustrate an origin and a propagation of the electromagnetic fields in a living organism. To inform students about modelling of this fields and sources and with direct and inverse method of modelling.
- Study materials:
 Malmivuo, J. - Plonsey, R.: Bioelectromagnetism - Principles and Applications of Bioelectric and Biomagnetic Fields. New York, Oxford University Press 1995.
 Titomir, L. I. - Kneppo, P.: Bioelectric and Biomagnetic fields. Boca Raton, CRC Press 1994.
- Time-table for winter semester 2021/2022:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2021/2022:
Mon Tue Wed ThuroomKL:B-420
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Technician - full time study (compulsory elective course)