Equipments for Anaesthesiology and Resuscitation
- Grading of the course requires grading of the following courses:
- Physical Chemistry (17PBBFCH)
- Garant předmětu:
- Karel Roubík
- Jakub Ráfl, Karel Roubík
- Václav Ort, Jakub Ráfl, Šimon Walzel
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Overview of the equipment, general requirements. Principles and adverse effects of artificial lung ventilation. Conventional and unconventional ventilatory regimens, ventilators. Principles and equipment in anaesthesiology. Anaesthetics. Humidification and humidifiers. Bedside monitors. Other diagnostic and therapeutic equipment for CCM (ITU) departments.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Meaning of „anaesthesia and critical care“. Resuscitation. Ventilation and circulation, their control.
2. Requirements for medical equipment at departments of anaesthesia and critical care medicine and intensive care units.
3. Principles and adverse effects of artificial lung ventilation.
4. Conventional ventilatory regimens, conventional ventilators.
5. Conventional ventilatory regimens, conventional ventilators.
6. Unconventional ventilatory regimens, high-frequency ventilators.
7. Unconventional ventilatory regimens, high-frequency ventilators.
8. Devices for anaesthesia.
9. Anaesthetic compounds, thermodynamic principles in anaesthesia.
10. Anaesthetic vaporisers.
11. Inspiratory gas humidifiers.
12. Pulse oxymetry.
13. Monitors of physiological functions.
14. Other diagnostic and therapeutic devices for CCM (ITU) departments.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Pressure and airflow measurement in critical care. Calibration of flow sensors.
2. Measurement on conventional ventilator Veolar.
3. Measurement on high-frequency oscillatory ventilator SensorMedics 3100B.
4. Modelling of the respiratory system.
5. Experiment for work of breathing evaluation.
6. Measurement on blood-gas analyser Compact 3.
7. Measurement on a device for anaesthesia.
- Study Objective:
The aim of the subject is to give the students overview of the basic equipment of the intensive care units or departments of anaesthesia and critical care medicine. It involves life-supporting devices, especially for artificial lung ventilation, monitors of the patient's physiologic parameters, equipment for anaesthesia, etc.
- Study materials:
 West, J. B.: Respiratory Physiology: The Essentials. (7th Edition). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004.
 Davis, P. D., Kenny, G. N. C: Basic Physics and Measurement in Anaesthesia. (5th ed.), Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003.
- Time-table for winter semester 2022/2023:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2022/2023:
Lab. PT pro anesteziologii ...roomKL:A-008
Lab. PT pro anesteziologii ...
Tue Wed Thu Fri
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Technician - full time study (compulsory course)