Quantum Generators of Optical Radiation 1
- Department of Physical Electronics
The aim of the lecture is to introduce the principles and elements of modern quantum generators of optical radiation and their technical solutions.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Light as electromagnetic radiation. Matter as a set of quantum systems. Interaction of optical radiation with the matter. Laser principle.
2. Classification of lasers. Laser types according to the active medium.
3. Laser oscillator. Laser amplifier. Pulse and steady-state mode. Distortion of the amplified signal.
4. Open resonators. Resonator stability. Longitudinal and transverse modes. Elements of open resonators. Condition of laser generation.
5. Gaussian beam as the application of the basic transverse mode. Optical radiation propagation through the resonant medium. ABCD method.
6. Dynamics of laser generation. Rate equations for different laser generation modes.
7. Q-switching. Accusto-optical and electro-optical modulators and Q-switches.
8. Modelocking. Nonlinear elements for Q-modulation and harmonic frequency generation.
9. Generation of new wavelengths using stimulated Raman scattering. Up-conversion lasers.
10. High-power amplifiers. Limiting power. Free-electron lasers.
11. Lasers with high degree of coherence. Controlling the duration of the laser pulse. Methods of generating very short laser pulses. High-energy laser systems.
12. Coherent and incoherent impulse spreading. Optical solitons. Photon echo. Superradiace. Enhanced spontaneous emissions. Lasers without resonator.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 O. Svelto. Principles of lasers. Springer, 2010
 M. Dantus. Femtosecond Laser Shaping: From Laboratory to Industry. CRC Press 2017
 R. Paschotta. Encyclopedia of laser physics and technology. Wiley-VCH, Berlin 2008
 G. A. Reider. Photonics. Springer, 2016
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: