Laser Technique 1
- The course cannot be taken simultaneously with:
- Laser Technique 1 (12LT1)
- Department of Physical Electronics
Open resonators. Stability. Transverse and Longitudinal Modes. Elements of Open Resonators. Threshold of laser oscillations. Gausian beam as an approximation of the fundamental mode. ABCD method. Optical radiation propagation in resonant medium. Two-level approximation. Equations for polarisation and inversion, dispersion, saturation. Coherent and non-coherent pulse propagation. Optical solitons. Photon echo. Superradiation. Amplified spontaneous emission Lasers without optical resonator.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Laser oscillation and modes of open resonator.
2. Intensity distribution of individual transversal mode.Gaussian beam as approximation of fundamental transversal mode.
3. Determination of fundamental transversal mode for two mirror resonator
4. Stability of open resonator. Unstable resonators
5. Solution of open resonators using ABCD matrix
6. Longitudinal modes.
7. Semiclassical theory of propagation of resonant radiation in two-level system
8. Propagation of stationary plane wave in active medium
9. Propagation of optical pulses in active medium
10. Laser rate equation approximation
11. Rate equations for Q-switched laser
12. Coherent pulse propagation and amplified spontaneous emission.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Examples of problems are solved closely connected to the subject of each lecture.
- Study Objective:
of basic properies of open resonators and interaction of elmag radiation with matter
application of obtained knowledge for design and analysis of an real laser resonator
- Study materials:
H. J.Eichler, J. Eichler, O.Lux, Lasers -Basics, Advances and Applications, Springer-Verlag Berlin, 2018.
 W.Koechner, Solid-State Laser Engineering, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg,New York 1999.
 B.E.A.Saleh, M.C. Teich, Fundamentals of photonics, Wiley 2007.
 M. Vrbová a kol.: Oborová encyklopedie,“Lasery a moderníoptika” Prometheus, Praha 1994.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: