Advanced Multimedia Signal Processing
- Karel Fliegel (guarantor)
- Karel Fliegel (guarantor)
- Department of Radioelectronics
The course covers selected areas of advanced multimedia signal processing with emphasis on processing techniques
adapted for sensing, processing and reproduction especially of image and video signals concerning the requirements of
human observers and the characteristics of human visual system (HVS). Main focus of the course is on visual
information coding, including overview of conventional methods in respect to the information theory, rate-distortion
analysis and advanced methods for efficient visual information representation in respect to Quality of Experience (QoE)
in emerging immersive multimedia. Emphasis is placed on the rigorous theoretical description of the methods but also on
the possibility of their experimental verification in the laboratory using special equipment or simulation tools.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Linear algebra for multidimensional signal processing, matrix representation of images, spectral representation.
2. Multiscale image processing, pyramidal decomposition, continuous and discrete wavelet transform.
3. Human visual system (HVS) characteristics and models.
4. Image and video quality assessment, Quality of Experience (QoE).
5. Advanced colorimetry in imaging systems and color management.
6. Modelling of image signals, noise models.
7. Methods of image reconstruction, noise reduction.
8. Super-resolution, compressed sensing.
9. High dynamic range (HDR) image acquisition and reproduction.
10. Principles of 3D imaging, stereoscopic and volumetric imaging, digital holography.
11. Capturing and processing of images from light-field camera.
12. Compression of still images.
13. Video compression techniques: motion vector, preprocessing and postprocessing.
14. Compression for emerging image and video communication systems.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 Dufaux, F., Le Callet, P., Mantiuk, R., Mrak, M.: High Dynamic Range Video: From Acquisition, to Display and
Applications, Academic Press, 2016.
 Möller, S., Raake, A.: Quality of Experience: Advanced Concepts, Applications and Methods, Springer, 2014.
 Woods, J. W.: Multidimensional signal, image, and video processing and coding, Academic Press, 2012.
 Milanfar, P.: Super-resolution imaging, Boca Raton: CRC, 2011.
 Cristobal, G., Schelkens, P., Thienpont, H.: Optical and digital image processing: fundamentals and applications,
 Mrak, M., Grgić, M, Kunt, M.: High-quality visual experience: creation, processing and interactivity of highresolution
and high-dimensional video signals, Springer, 2010.
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
Tue Fri Thu Fri
- The course is a part of the following study plans: