Materials and Technologies for Photonic Devices and Structures
- Václav Prajzler (guarantor)
- Václav Prajzler (guarantor)
- Department of Microelectronics
The students get acquainted with optical materials such as semiconductors, optical glass, crystals, and polymers. The students get acquainted also with technologies for the fabrication of optical and optoelectronic devices and structures. It will be present technologies for deposition of the micro and nano layers deposition.
Students will be introduced to new modern technologies and it will be shown principles of integrated optoelectronic devices and structures. It will be also shown the design of the photonic structures and diagnostic methods for the measurement of the optical and optoelectronic properties.
This course is a continuation of the subject matter covered in the above mentioned master's courses B2M34PIO or BE2M34PIO
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Basic and advanced approaches for optics and photonics
2. Basics of photonic structures design
3. Planar optical waveguides
4. Fiber technology and advanced fiber structures
5. Materials for photonics and optoelectronics - semiconductors
6. Materials for photonics and optoelectronics - optical glasses and crystals
7. Materials for photonics and optoelectronics - polymers
8. Advanced technological methods
9. Technology approaches for thick and thin layers
10. Technological approaches for photonic applications
11. Technological approaches for nano-photonic structures
12. Technology for wearable electronics and photonics
13. Diagnostic and measuring methods - physical properties
14. Diagnostic and measuring methods - optical properties
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. RSOFT practical introduction
2. RSOFT design
3. RSOFT design - individual project
4. RSOFT design - individual project
5. OPTICAD practical introduction
6. OPTICAD design - individual project
7. Technological approaches for photonics applications
8. Lithography technique - photolithography, deep ultraviolet photolithography and laser direct writing
9. Thin and nano layer deposition technique and etching
10. Characterisation techniques - 3D scan confocal raman spectrometer
11. Characterisation techniques - prism coupler
12. Characterisation techniques - output optical field measurement
13. Characterisation techniques - optical spectrum analyser
14. Project final presentation
- Study Objective:
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with new technologies for photonic and optical components. Students will be acquainted with new materials for the realization of the photonic structures. Attention will also be paid to diagnostic methods for characterization and measurement of properties of photonic structures. Students will learn the design of structures using specialized design tools.
- Study materials:
S.O. Kasap, Ruda Harry E., B. Yann: Cambridge illustrated handbook of optoelectronics and photonics, Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2009. ISBN: 978-0-521-81596-3
G.T. Reed: Silicon on Photonics, John Wiley&Sons Ltd 2008.
P.N. Prasad: Nanophotonics, Wiley-Interscience, 2004.
J. Hongrui, Z. Xuefeng: Microlenses : properties, fabrication and liquid lenses. Boca Raton : CRC Press, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-4398-3669-9.
S. Shichi, O. Katsunari: New photonics technologies for the information age : the dream of ubiquitous services. Boston : Artech House, 2004. ISBN: 1-58053-696-4.
L. Pavesi, D.J. Lockwood: Silicon Photonics, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2004.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: