Reactor and bioreactor design
- Department of Process Engineering
Design of equipment where reactants are transformed to products due to chemical or biochemical reactions. Principles of designing basic types of reactors and bioreactors using reaction kinetics. Basic design of structural configurations, using special materials, and other aspects important from the operational point of view (sealing, oscillations). Applications in chemical, pharmaceutical and food industries.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Basis of chemical kinetics and chemical equilibrium.
2. Kinetics of homogeneous and heterogeneous reactions.
3. Basic types of reactors, batch and continuous systems.
4. Piston-flow reactors, ideally mixed batch and continuous reactors.
5. Reactor cascades and non-ideally mixed systems.
6. Choice of reactor type and optimization with respect to maximum production.
7. Bioreactors, basic terms and basic technological scheme of the process.
8. Bioreactor types, kinetics of biochemical processes, limitation of microorganism growth.
9. Configurations of supply and distribution of components limiting the microorganism growth.
10. Calculations and design of basic bioreactor types, influence of hydrodynamics and other factors on production.
11. Fundamentals of technical design for reactors and bioreactors from laboratory to industrial scale.
12. Material for reactors and bioreactors, hygienic design, technological design.
13. Sealing of reactors, oscillation of movable structures, natural frequencies.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Richardson J. F., Peacock D. G.: Coulson & Richardson's Chemical Engineering, Volume 3: Chemical & Biochemical Reactors & Process Control, 3rd Edition, 1994.
Nauman E. B.: Chemical Reactor Design, Optimization, and Scaleup, McGraw Hill, 2002
Aiba S., Humphrey A. E., Millis N. F.: Biochemical Engineering. New York Academic Press, 2nd edition, 1973.
Moss D.: Pressure vessel design manual. Gulf Professional Publishing, 2004.
Own study materials presented at: http://moodle.cvut.cz
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: