Design and operation of production lines
- Department of Process Engineering
Life cycle of the project. Terminology and participants in construction. Feasibility study. Project documentation of process technology, technological packages and buildings. Line balancing. Building legislation. Costs of construction, their structure and estimates. Economic assessment of the project's profitability. Supply systems. Contractual relations. Project management. Maintenance and operation of lines. Health and safety requirements.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Overview of design issues. Life cycle of the project. Basic concepts of construction. Feasibility study.
2. Types of project documentation, documentation structure from procedural and legislative point of view. The process of designing and preparing documentation. Reducing alternatives.
3. Project process documentation (reglement, PFD, P&ID, datasheet). Creation of schemes.
4. Project documentation of technological packages (organizational diagram, layout scheme). An example of setting technology requirements (time standards).
5. Project documentation of buildings (general plan). Legislative and other requirements for the preparation of a building documentation. Space arrangement of building elements.
6. Legislative requirements for project documentation.
7. Line balancing - basic procedures.
8. Line balancing - solution methodology.
9. Building costs and their structure. Estimating costs of building and technological part. Local and time price factors.
10. Economic concepts in design. Cash flow, investment opportunities, discounts. Determining the profitability of the project and own resources (feasibility criteria). Decision about realization of a project.
11. Supply systems. Contractual relationships, types of contracts, content of the technical and commercial part of the contract. Project management (scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, risk, procurement).
12. Maintenance, service interventions, stops, repairs planning. Risk management.
13. Safety of operation of technological lines. Legislative requirements, ensuring operational safety and health protection.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Lawson, G., Wearne, S. H., Iles-Smith, P. Project Management for the Process Industries. Rugby: IChemE, 1999
Ulrich, G.D. A guide to Chemical Engineering Process Design and Economics. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1984
Peters, M.S., Timmerhaus, K.D., West, R.E. Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: