Digital Signal Processing
- Petr Pollák (guarantor)
- Petr Pollák (guarantor)
- Department of Circuit Theory
The subject gives overview about basic methods of digital signal processing and their applications (examples from speech and biological signal processing): disrete-time signals and systems, signal characteristics in time and frequency domain, Fourier transform, fast algorithms for DFT computation, introduction to digital filter design, digital filtering in time and frequency domain, decimation and interpolation and their usage in filter banks, basics of LPC analysis. Further details can be found at <a href=http://noel.feld.cvut.cz/vyu/be2m31dspa>http://noel.feld.cvut.cz/vyu/be2m31dspa</a> .
Bases of signal and system theory with necessary mathematical background are supposed as preliminary knowledge.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction to DSP. Sampling theorem.
2. Basic characteristics of digital signals.
3. Autocorrelation and crosscorrelation functions
4. Fourier transform of discrete signal.
5. Properties of DFT, fast algorithms for DFT computation.
6. Spectral characteristics of stachastic and non-stationary signals.
7. Signal and system reprezentation in Z-domain
8. Digital Filtering I - FIR filters.
9. Digital filtering II - IIR filters.
10. Digital filtering in the frequency domain.
11. Basics of multi-band signal processing.
12. Basics of parametric methods of signal processing.
13. DSP applications in speech and biological signal processing. Signal compression.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to MATLAB and other tools
2. Computation of basic time-domain characterstics in MATLAB
3. Autocorrelation analysis and its applications
4. Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) and its properties, interpolation, zero-padding
5. Spectral analysis of deterministic signals
6. Spectral analysis of stochastic and non-stationary signals
7. Discrete-time systems: basic properties, frequency repsonse
8. Design of digital FIR filters
9. Design of digital IIR filters
10. Digital filtering in frequency domain
11. Implementation of signal segmentation (OLA, OLS)Parametric metods of DSP
12. Basics of multi-band signal processing
13. Parametric metods of DSP
- Study Objective:
Students should acquire theoretical and practical experiences about basic DSP techniques and the most frequent applications. Simple implementations and simulations of basic DSP methods in MATLAB environment are solved in seminars of the subject.
- Study materials:
 Oppenheim, A.V., Shafer, R.W.: Discrete-Time Signal Processing. 3rd edition. Prentice-Hall, 2009
 Vaseghi S.V..: Advanced Digital Signal Processing and Noise Reduction. 4th edition. Wiley, 2008
 The MathWorks: MATLAB User's and Reference Guides.
(Any other book devoted to digital signal processing.)
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
Tue Fri Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Electronics and Communications - Electronics (compulsory course in the program)
- Electronics and Communications - Audiovisual Technology and Signal Processing (compulsory course in the program)
- Electronics and Communications - Photonics (compulsory course in the program)
- Electronics and Communications - Technology of the Internet of Things (compulsory course in the program)
- Electronics and Communications - Communication Networks and Internet (compulsory course in the program)
- Electronics and Communications - Mobile Communications (compulsory course in the program)
- Electronics and Communications - Radio Systems (compulsory course in the program)