Environmentally-friendly building materials
- Department of Material Engineering and Chemistry
The aim of the course is to introduce students to the issues of low-energy and ecologically focused building construction. The initial lectures will be devoted to the legislation and energy performance of buildings. Further, the subject deals with materials with a low carbon footprint. The subject will not be uniquely focused only on bio-based materials. The aim of the subject is to teach the student how to combine modern materials with purely natural materials, minimize the environmental impact of the building industry and create a pleasant interior with a healthy microclimate. Last but not least, evaluate the materials in terms of their lifecycle, ie production, maintenance and subsequent disposal or better recycling.
Exam of SH01.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduce the topic, principles of low energy building constructions.
2. Energy audit.
3. Carbon footprint of building materials, energy intensity of production of building materials.
4. Concrete with natural aggregates (hemp concrete).
5. Concretes with natural aggregates 2 (rape-straw concretes, alternative binders, waste materials).
6. Utilization of waste materials in the building industry.
7. Natural Thermal Insulation Materials (Hemp, Flax, Jute, Sheep Wool).
8. Wood, wood-based materials, wood-plastic composites.
9. Clay plasters.
10. Straw as a building material.
11. Materials for green roofs.
12. Excursion 1.
13. Excursion 2.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction, selection of student presentations.
2. Basic concepts and quantities used in building technology, calculation of heat transfer coefficient.
3. Preparation of samples for sorption isotherms of selected materials.
4. Preparation of concrete samples with bio-aggregates.
5. Seminar, student presentations on chosen topic.
6. Calculation of the energy balance.
7. Preparation of an alternative environmentally friendly material.
8. Measuring properties of natural materials.
9. Seminar 2.
10. Measurement of mechanical properties of materials prepared for exercise 4, measurement of sorption isotherm materials from exercise 2.
11. Seminar 3.
12. Freeze - thaw resistance of wood plastic composites
13 . Credit test.
- Study Objective:
Introduction of environmentally friendly materials, utilization of secondary or waste materials in the building industry. Combination of modern synthetic materials with purely natural materials.
- Study materials:
!Chybík, J.: Přírodní stavební materiály, Grada 2009, ISBN 978-80-247-9114-2
!Hudec, M., Johanisová,B., Mansbart T: : Pasivní domy z přírodních materiálů, Grada 2013, ISBN: 978-80-247-4243-4
!Jimmy C.M. Kao, Wen-Pei Sung, Ran Chen: Green Building, Materials and Civil Engineering, CRC Press 2014, ISBN 9781138026698
?Mouton, Yves: Organic Materials in Civil Engineering, ISTE Ltd. 2006, ISBN: 978-1-905-20911-8
?Kennedy J: The art of natural building. New Society Publishers, Gabriola Island 2010, ISBN-13: 978-0865714335
?Nagy,E.: Nízkoenergetický ekologický dům, Jaga 2002, ISBN 80-88905-74-5
?Attmann O. Green Architecture. Advanced Technologies and Materials, McGraw-Hill; 2010, ISBN: 0071625011
?Berge, B., Butters, C., Henley, F.: The ecology of building materials, Elsevier/Architectural Press; 2009, ISBN 978-1-85617-537-1
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: