Digital Audio and Video Broadcasting
- Safety in Electrical Engineering for a master´s degree (BEEZM)
- Department of Radioelectronics
The subject makes students familiar with topics related to video and audio transmission. Described are methods of data stream creation, methods of source and channel coding, error correction principles and modulation formats. Attention is paid to transmission systems standards with regard to transmission channel properties. The subject also deals with multimedia data services and with measurement in transmission systems.
Fundamental knowledge in the field of signal processing (especially audio and video). Fundamental knowledge in the field of wireless communication (modulation, radio components, systems).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Overview of video broadcasting systems developments.
2. Audio and video information content. Fundamental specifications of digital audio and video broadcasting systems.
3. Video source coding methods.
4. Audio source coding methods. Program stream multiplex and transport stream multiplex.
5. Overview of audio broadcasting systems developments, stereo broadcasting.
6. Audio video signal quality assessment.
7. Fundamentals of signal transmission, basic properties of transmission channel.
8. Error protection in digital audio and video broadcasting systems, convolutional and block codes, multilevel protection.
9. Modulation techniques in digital audio and video broadcasting systems. Single frequency network.
10. Conception of digital audio and video broadcasting systems. Modern standards of digital audio and video broadcasting.
11. Measurement in digital audio and video broadcasting systems, parameters of transmitters and receivers.
12. Data services in digital audio and video broadcasting systems.
14. Alternate term.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Source processing of audio and video signals.
2. Signal sampling and reconstruction. Audio and video broadcasting systems.
3. Introduction to laboratory, occupational health and safety.
4. Signal sampling and reconstruction, sampling theorem.
5. Measurement of audio signal loudness.
6. Measurement on stereo coder for audio broadcasting.
7. Analysis of transport stream multiplex of digital video broadcasting.
8. Measurement on digital video broadcasting system with a test receiver.
9. Dynamic processing of audio signal.
10. Measurement on transmitter of digital video broadcasting.
11. Quality assessment of television image in digital video broadcasting system.
12. Measurement of bit error ratio and video quality of digital video broadcasting system.
13. Alternate term.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. FISCHER, W. Digital Video and Audio Broadcasting Technology. Heidelberg: Springer, 2010. 811 s. ISBN 978-3-642-11611-7
2. REIMERS, U. DVB: the family of international standards for digital video broadcasting. 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer, 2005. ISBN 354043545X.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Electronics and Communications - Audiovisual Technology and Signal Processing (compulsory elective course)
- Electronics and Communications - Radio Systems (compulsory elective course)