- Safety in Electrical Engineering for a master´s degree (BEEZM)
- Department of Circuit Theory
The course will provide an introduction to the structure and function of the neural system and the mechanisms behind major diseases of the human brain. It will combine topics from various disciplines ranging from electrophysiology, neurobiology, neuroanatomy, neurology, psychiatry to biophysics and bioengineering. Understanding the principles how the human brain works in health and disease represents a crucial prerequisite for the development and implementation of modern engineering technologies to better diagnose and treat brain disorders.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.General neurophysiology. The neuron and the glial cell. Basic functions of synapses. Review of neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. Mechanisms of synaptic transmission.
2.Electrophysiology of the neuron. The resting membrane potential: Ionic and electric gradients. Action potentials: Properties of excitable membranes. Postsynaptic potentials, excitation, and inhibition. Generator potentials in receptors. Recording and stimulation of neural cells.
3.Electrical properties of a volume conductor, extracellular recording, and stimulation. EEG, event-related potentials.
4.Reflex and non?reflex activity. Learning and memory.
5.Functions of the spinal cord. Physiology of the brain stem: the medulla, the pons, the mesencephalon. Hypothalamus and the autonomic nervous system.
6.Motor functions: The cerebral cortex, the basal ganglia, and the cerebellum. Pyramidal and extrapyramidal systems. Demyelinization. Disorders of motor functions
7.Functions of the thalamus and physiology of pain. Somatosensory system.
8.The cerebral cortex and intellectual brain functions. Motivations and emotions.
9.Sleep and wakefulness, modulatory systems of the brain.
10.Neurophysiology of vision and hearing. The chemical senses of taste and hearing
11.Consciousness and its disorders
12.Brain metabolism and circulation. Stroke.
13.Epilepsy and seizures.
14.Degenerative diseases of the brain. Schizophrenia and mood disorders.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology
2. Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain. M. Bear, B.W.Connors, M.A. Paradiso
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Medical electronics and bioinformatics (compulsory elective course)
- Medical Electronics and Bioinformaticse - Specialization Image Processing (compulsory elective course)
- Medical Electronics and Bioinformatics - Specialization Signal Processing (compulsory elective course)