Medical Instrumentation and Devices
- Department of Circuit Theory
Students will study fundamental principles applied within the modern medical devices and systems, esp. from the point of view of functional blocks and electronic circuits of diagnostical and therapeutical medical equipments including electrocardiographs, electroencephalographs, bedside and central monitors, equipments for anestesiology, intensive and critical healthcare, equipments for clinical laboratory, electrostimulators, cardiostimulators and defibrilators, blood pressure and flow measurement (including dilution) and pulse oxymetry.
Presence in seminars, laboratory practice, semestral work.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Classification and structures of medical equipments, parametres of medical equipments
2. Biopotential electrodes, amplifiers for measuring devices
3. Electrocardiographs, cardiostimulators, defibrilators
4. ECG - circuits design, diagnostics
5. Cardiostimulators, defibrilators - circuits design
6. Devices for blood pressure and flow measurement, pulse oxymeters
7. Electroencephalography, electromyography, measuring of body temperature
8. Devices for clinical laboratory with application of analytical methods
9. Devices for ophthalmology
10. Basics of ultrasonography diagnostics
11. Devices for intensive care, supporting ventilation
12. Radiotherapy, X radiation and high energy radiation equipment, stereotactic radiosurgery, Leksell gamma knife
13. Telemedicine, robotic medicine
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to seminars, regulations for experimental work, safety regulations.
2. Amplifiers for measuring devices
3. Explanations of laboratory experiments, reservations of individual works
4. Laboratory experiments
5. Laboratory experiments
6. Laboratory experiments
7. Laboratory experimants
8. Laboratory experiments
9. Laboratory experiments
12. Presentations of individual works
13. Presentations of individual works
- Study Objective:
The main goal is to offer the basic knowledge in the field of medical equipment and to provide the practice with selected devices in laboratories for students.
- Study materials:
1. Rozman, J. a kol.: Elektronické přístroje v lékařství. Praha: Academia. 2006.
2. Penhaker, M. a kol.:Lékařské diagnostické přístroje - učební texty. Ostrava: VŠB-TU Ostrava. 2004.
3. Webster, J. G.: Medical Instrumentation - Application and Design. Wiley, 4 edition, 2007.
4. Bronzino, J. D.: Biomedical Engineering Fundamentals. Boca Raton: CRC Press. 2006.
5. Bronzino, J. D.: Medical Devices and Systems. Boca Raton: CRC Press. 2006.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Medical electronics and bioinformatics (compulsory course in the program)
- Medical Electronics and Bioinformaticse - Specialization Image Processing (compulsory course in the program)
- Medical Electronics and Bioinformatics - Specialization Signal Processing (compulsory course in the program)