Scientific Writing in English
- Milan Jirásek (guarantor), Jan Zeman (guarantor)
- Department of Mechanics
In this course, which is taught exclusively in English, attention is paid to the structure of a scientific or technical paper, to grammatical and stylistic aspects and to the creative scientific writing process from manuscript preparation up to its publication (including the selection of an appropriate journal and the manuscript submission and review process). Other topics covered in the course include effective search for and processing of information sources in a network environment, exploitation of library, open-access and other resources and tools, citation rules and publication ethics. Students get acquainted with citation managers, manuals of style, typesetting rules and tools for the preparation of a technical manuscript in LaTeX. Basic information on bibliometric tools and evaluation of scientific output is also provided.
- Syllabus of lectures:
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Lecture notes and supporting materials prepared by the instructors
2. Strunk, W. and E. B. White. The Elements of Style. London: Macmillian, 1999.
3. Turabian, K. and W. A. Booth. Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers. 8th ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2013.
4. Alley, M. The Craft of Scientific Presentations: Critical Steps to Succeed and Critical Errors to Avoid. New York, NY: Springer, 2007.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: