Fibre Optics in Biology a Medicine
- Marie Pospíšilová (guarantor)
- Marie Pospíšilová (guarantor), Hana Kalábová
- Department of Natural Sciences
Optical fibre (OF), basic parameters of OF, condition of guide, attitude of geometry and wave optics, Maxwell equations, mode structure. Optical fibre elements, OF as displaying element. OF bundles, endoscope. Introduction to the OF sensors, Introduction to spectroscoppy fundamentals, intrinsic and extrinsic OF sensors, reflection and transmition biosensors, Chemical and SPR optical fiber biosensors.
1.Credit of Examination
Credit form exercises, credit test (90 minutes - 10 questions and exercises from present courses (each max. 10 points), requirement - min. 60 points.
2.Credit of Exercises
80% of attendance, PP presentation on Seminar "Optical fiber sensors (OFS) - each two students from course choose some OFS systems and present it on 10 slides , Protocols from measurements, go through test at the end of 7th exercise (5 examples - max. 50 points), requirement - min. 30 points.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction to fiber optics - Principe of light guide by optical fiber, overview and application of optical fibers, limit parameters, fabrication of optical fiber.
2. Definition of Optical fiber, basic relations and parameters and its derive in the attitude of geometry optics, total reflection, normalized frequency and number of modes, attenuation and critical bend radius of optical fiber, evanescent field and its deep.
3. Transmissions of electromagnetic field by optical fiber - Maxwell Equations (ME) for cylinder symmetry structure.
4. Solution of ME - mode structure, single and multimode optical fibers, power distribution of electromagnetic field in core and cladding of optical fiber.
5. Basic measure methods of optical fiber - geometry, refractive index profile, spectral attenuation of optical fibers.
6. Optical fibers for imaging and lightening, optical fiber as a displaying element, optical fiber bundles, endoscope and optical fiber probes (OFPs).
7. Optical fiber elements, conical and tapered fibers, changes of their basic parameters and their comparison with cylinder symmetry optical fibers, special optical fibers
8. Introduction to optical fiber sensors (OFS) - definition, basic parts of OFS, intrinsic and extrinsic OFS
9. Introduction to the base principles of spectroscopy - absorption, fluorescence, Jablonski diagram, examples OFS for reflection spectroscopy.
10. Chemical OFS - examples of intrinsic and extrinsic OFS
11. Optical fiber biosensors - structure and their description
12. Reflection and transmission of optical fiber biosensors
13. Biosensors applying of optical fiber elements - fiber taper, conical fiber
14. Optical fiber biosensors using surface Plasmon and special fiber
After each lecture the PP presentation will be given to the students
- Syllabus of tutorials:
7 x 2 hours Practice calculations of basic parameters of optical fibers. Calculus examples of basic parameters of real optical fibers, calculation of mode distribution in real optical fiber by using Maxwell equations, influence of geometry and refractive index profile of optical fiber on normalized frequency, cutoff wavelength, evanescence field depth and losses due to bend radius of optical fiber. Test of knowledge's of calculation will be held on the end of 7th exercise ( 30 min.) - 5 mathematical problems (max. 50 points) - requirement for credit min.30 points.
3 x 2 hours Laboratory practices 1) Spectral attenuation measurement of optical fibers by cut back method; 2) Determination of critical radius of bent of optical fiber; 3) Geometry of optical fibers using microscope. Elaborate the results of measurement to the „Protocol“ together with description of method of measurement.
2 x 2 hours Excursion on department of Technology of optical fiber IPE AS CR, Prague 6 - Suchdol
1 x 2 hours Credit test - 10 questions from present courses and mathematical problems from exercises (maxim. 100 points), requirement - min. 60 points.
- Study Objective:
1. To acquaint with the base of fiber optics in the approach of the geometry and wave optics including basic relations for calculation of important parameters of optical fibers
2. To get of overview about a type of optical fibers and their parameters which are important for its applications in biology and medicine.
3. To get basic knowledge's about optical fiber sensors and biosensors in biology and medical applications
4. To get a practical experiences with real optical fibers and their measurement throuhg the laboratory exercise's
- Study materials:
1. D. Marcuse, „Principles of Optical Fiber Measurements“, New York, Academy Press (1980)
2. A. Méndez, T. F. Morse, „Speciality Optical Fibers Handbook“, Amsterodam, Boston, London, New York, Academic Press, Elsevier (2007)
3. M. Kaschke (Carl Zeiss AG), „Opical Systems - Aplications in Medical Technologies“ Lectures University of Karlsruhe, (2005)
4. U. Utzinger, R. R. Richards-Kortum: „Fiber Optic Probe for Medical Optical Spectroscopy“, University of Arizona, Tucson, (2001)
5. M. E. Bosch, A. J. Sánchez , F. S. Rojas , C. Bosch Ojeda , Review: Recent Development in Optical Fiber Biosensors, Sensors 2007, 7, 797-859 (www.mdpi.org/sensors)
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
Tue Fri Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Instrumentation and Methods for Biomedicine - full-time (compulsory elective course)