Introduction to Laser Physics
- Department of Physics
Subject covers principles of laser physics, explains basic terms and principles of lasar operation, describes individual types of lasers and their construction. It defines main characteristics of laser radiation and briefly showes techniques of short pulses generation. It presents wide scope of laser applications in metrology, science, industry and medicine and introduces principles of standards for the safe use of lasers. The subject includes seminars, labs and industrial workplaces, too. and their construction. It also attempts to present some of applications of lasers. The subject includes seminars, labs and excursions to various scientific, medical and industrial workplaces, too.
Knowledge of physics and mathematics from the secondary school. Basic knowledge of the differential and integral calculus of the function of one variable and linear algebra.
Presence at the seminars, and the students must obtain minimally 60% of available points in the test.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Gain, population inversion, resonator, modes, etc.
2. Doped insulator lasers.
3. Semiconductor lasers.
4. Atomic and ion gas lasers.
5. Molecular gas lasers.
6. Dye lasers.
7. Properties of laser radiation.
8. Generation of short laser pulses.
9. Applications of lasers.
10. Measurement of lasers and their radiation characteristics.
11. Safety and hygienic problems of laser applications.
12. Lasers in medicine.
14. Professional laser systems.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Light as electromagnetic radiation.
2. Optical radiation detection.
3. Use of lasers in medicine I.
4. Construction of lasers.
5. Lasers of Czech Academy of Sciences I. (excursion)
6. Lasers of Czech Academy of Sciences II. (excursion)
7. Properties of lasers I.
8. Properties of lasers II.
9. Measurement of properties of lasers.
10. Application of lasers in industry I. (excursion)
11. Application of lasers in industry II. (excursion)
12. Use of lasers in medicine II. (excursion)
13. Measurement of laser radiation characteristics.
14. Making and reconstruction of holograms.
- Study Objective:
Explain basic terms and principles of laser operation, construction and application.
- Study materials:
 Wilson J., Hawkes J.F.B.: Lasers - Principles and Applications, Prentice Hall Int.1987
Silfvast W. T.: Laser Fundamentals. Cambridge University Press. (many editions)
Svelto O.: Principles of Lasers. Springer, (many editions)
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: