Audio Technology 2
- Safety in Electrical Engineering for a master´s degree (BEEZM)
- The course cannot be taken simultaneously with:
- Audio Technology 2 (B2M37ZV2)
- The course is a substitute for:
- Audio Technology 2 (AE0M37ZV2)
Audio Technology 2 (B2M37ZV2)
- Department of Radioelectronics
This course deals with advanced topics related to audio technology in recording studios, namely room acoustics, multichannel signal recording and reproduction, digital audio signal processing, its impact on auditory perception, audio signal optimization from the psychoacoustic point of view.
Input level of knowledge: BE2M99ZVT
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Acoustics of closed spaces
2. Subjective and objective methods of room acoustics evaluation
3. Design in room acoustics
4. Measuring methods in room acoustics
5. Acoustics in small spaces
6. Sound insulation
7. Sound reinforcement.
8. Audio signal discretization. Dithering.
9. Psychoacoustical optimization of acoustic signals
10. Digital signal recording. Recording formats.
11. Magnetic analog audio recording
12. Mechanical and optical analog audio recording
13. Digital restoration of archive audio recordings
14. Multichannel sound pickup, processing and spatial audio reproduction. Compression of multichannel audio.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
2. Room acoustics design
3. Optimum sound reinforcement
4. Measurement in room acoustics
5. Visit to reverberation room
7. Subjective evaluation of multichannel sound pickup
8. Analysis of discrete signals
9. Analysis of methods of psychoacoustical optimization
10. Noiseshaping, Delta-sigma modulation
11. Measurement of basic properties of recording on CD, DVD and SACD
12. Measurement of a gramophone record, digital restoration of archive audio recordings, removal of typical artefacts
13. Measurement of a magnetophone record, digital restoration of archive audio recordings, removal of typical artefacts
14. Presentations of results, test
- Study Objective:
Students acquire knowledge on fundamentals and applications of room acoustics and principles of sound signal processing in recording studio practice.
- Study materials:
 Kuttruff, H.: Room Acoustics Spon Press 2009
 Eargle, J. : Handbook of recording engineering. Springer 2006
 Kahrs, M.- Brandenburg, K.: Applications of Digital Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. 1998.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Electronics and Communications - Communication Systems and Networks (elective course)
- Electronics and Communications - Radio and Optical technology (elective course)
- Electronics and Communications - Electronics (elective course)
- Electronics and Communications - Audiovisual Technology and Signal processing (compulsory course of the specialization)