Telecommunication Systems and Networks
|BE2B32TSI||KZ||4||2P + 2L||English|
- Ivan Pravda, Jiří Vodrážka (guarantor), Jaromír Hrad
- Ivan Pravda, Jiří Vodrážka (guarantor), Jaromír Hrad, Petr Jareš
- Department of Telecommunications Engineering
The subject discusses principles of telecommunication systems - mainly digital transmission systems and digital switching systems. The subject will provide students with the overview of the entire telecommunication domain, so that they can solve particular problems related to network traffic. They will also obtain basic knowledge of technologies that are used in modern wired and wireless networks.
Results of the survey (students' opinions) concerning the subject can be found here: https://www.fel.cvut.cz/cz/anketa/aktualni/courses/AE2B32TSI
* 100% presence at the lessons. (Proper excuse will be required in the case of absence.)
* Elaboration and approval of the assigned laboratory tasks.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Telecommunication services and networks, requirements, standardization.
2. Telephone channel, voice signal processing, PCM 30/32.
3. Multiplexing methods, PDH and SDH transmission systems.
4. Optical transmission systems, WDM.
5. Transmission media - parameters of metallic pairs, crosstalk.
6. Layered communication models, OSI-RM, protocols and architecture.
7. Backbone and access networks, data links, data interfaces.
8. Wireless systems and mobile networks.
9. Power line communication (PLC) systems.
10. Telephone sets, modems and modulation methods.
11. xDSL systems and their applications.
12. Digital switching systems - configuration and implementation of DSN.
13. ISDN and ATM networks - circuit and cell switching, access types.
14. Optical access networks, hybrid and CATV networks.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introductory lesson (plan of semester, safety training for students? work in the lab, content and framework of exercises, requirements for obtaining the credits and other administration).
2. Logarithmic description of transmission network parameters.
3. Explanation and assignment of semester projects.
4. Lab A (Optical transmission - direct/indirect measurement of attenuation).
5. Lab B (Optical transmission - direct/indirect measurement of attenuation).
6. Lab A (SDH analyzer and its utilization for measurement in real networks).
7. Lab B (SDH analyzer and its utilization for measurement in real networks).
8. Consultation of semester project.
Lab A (Power line and mobile data communications).
9. Lab B (Power line and mobile data communications).
10. Lab A (xDSL subscriber lines - configuration and bit allocation).
11. Lab B (xDSL subscriber lines - configuration and bit allocation).
12. Presentation of semester project results.
13. Compensation of missed lessons.
14. Assignment of credits.
- Study Objective:
Students are acquainted with the principle function of selected technologies of telecommunications technology.
- Study materials:
1. Bešťák, R. - Vodrážka, J. - Pravda. I.: Principle of Telecommunication Systems and Networks. Vydavatelství ČVUT, Praha. 2007.
2. Halonen, T. - Romero, J. - Melero, J.: GSM, GPRS and EDGE Performance - 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. England 2003.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2020/2021:
Fri Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans: