Systems on Chip
- The course cannot be taken simultaneously with:
- Embedded Hardware (NI-EHW)
Embedded Software (NI-ESW)
- Hana Kubátová (guarantor)
- Hana Kubátová (guarantor), Martin Daňhel
- Department of Digital Design
Students gain key knowledge and skills in the design of large-scale digital systems. They will be familiar with architectures of such systems and communication among their parts. They will use an appropriate workflow to design these architectures, their hardware and software. They will also have knowledge of contemporary methods of large systems verification and fault-tolerant systems design.
Design and test of combinational and synchronous sequential digital circuits and corresponding workflows. System modeling and modeling languages. Basic overview of verification methods.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. A taxonomy and characteristics of systems on a chip (SoC). Common requirements to SoC. Implementation platforms, granularity.
2. On the chip communications, quantitative approach.
3. Hardware-software decomposition, design space exploration.
4. Harware-software codesign methods and metrics.
5. Real-time systems, architectures, properties.
6. Real-time operation systems (RTOS), fault-tolerant software.
7. Fault-tolerant systems, Dependability models and method of dependability characteristics´ computations.
8. System-level timing and synchronization.
9. Networks on chip (NoC), routing protocols and their implementation.
10. Low-power design.
11. SoC modeling and verification methods. Software-hardware co-verification.
12. Verification by simulation, simulation cover monitoring and control, stimuli generation methods.
13. Practical applications.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Team construction and project topic selection close to SoC.
2. Practical HW/SW Co-Design (Xilinx Zynq)
3. Processor design in CODASIP
5. Consultations of partial results
6. Semestral team project prezentation
7. Project review and discussion
- Study Objective:
Modern highly integrated digital systems are designed to achieve high performance, small dimensions, and low energy consumption. The module brings knowledge required to design both the software and the hardware of such systems, because both areas are tightly coupled. Nevertheless, design is only a small part of the game. „We will die of verification“ was heard at conferences as early as in 2000, in reference to difficult verification of system correctness. Therefore, we present the contemporary state-of-the-art in this area, as it is necessary for verification engineers. The last part of the course is dedicated to the construction of dependable systems for critical applications.
- Study materials:
1. Pasricha, S., Dutt, N. ''On-Chip Communication Architectures: System on Chip Interconnect''. Morgan Kaufmann, 2008. ISBN 012373892X.
2. Erbas, G. ''System-Level Modeling and Design Space Exploration for Multiprocessor Embedded System-on-Chip Architectures''. Amsterdam University Press, 2006. ISBN 9056294555.
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
Mon Tue FriroomTH:A-1342
Thákurova 7 (FSv-budova A)roomTH:A-1048
Thákurova 7 (FSv-budova A)
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 and and 2017 (elective course)
- Computer Security, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Computer Systems and Networks, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Specialization Web and Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Master Informatics, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (VO)
- Specialization System Programming, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (VO)
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (elective course)