Advanced Computer System Architectures
- Department of Computer Systems
The student will learn the current trends in infrastructure architecture of complex business computer systems. After completion of the module, the student will be able to design a complex system infrastructure that meets availability and scalability requirements given by the business environment.
Computer architectures, basics of computer networks and operating systems.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. HW architectures and trends.
2. Data storages, security, communication, queueing theory.
3. Data storages I. - Disks.
4. Data storages II. - Tapes and other technologies.
5. Horizontally scalable computer systems.
6. Vertically scalable computer systems.
7. High availability techniques I - Introduction.
8. High availability techniques II - Clusters..
9. Virtualization techniques I.- Introduction, I/O virtualization.
10. Virtualization techniques II.- Virtual machines.
11. Virtualization techniques III.- SW virtualization.
12. Management of complex architectures.
13. Cloud Computing.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. RAID Lab.
2. Volume manager and filesystem.
3. Partitioning, resource management.
5. Virtualization I. (VMware Player , VirtualBox)
6. Virtualization II. (VMware ESXi, Virtual Alpha)
- Study Objective:
The objective of this module is to introduce techniques and architectural principles that are used in modern ICT infrastructure, such as virtualisation, high availability, multi-tier system architecture, etc. The main focus will be on helping the ICT infrastructure architecture solve business needs in firms or organizations. This knowledge and skills are needed mainly for infrastructure architects, IT technology consultants, system administrators, or similar.
- Study materials:
1. Smith, J., Nair, R. ''Virtual Machines: Versatile Platforms for Systems and Processes''. Morgan Kaufmann, 2005. ISBN 1558609105.
2. Foster, I., Kesselman, C. ''The Grid 2: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure (2nd Edition)''. Morgan Kaufmann, 2003. ISBN 1558609334.
3. Buyya, R. ''High Performance Cluster Computing: Architectures and Systems Vol. 1 and 2''. Prentice Hall, 1999. ISBN 0130137847 and 0130137855.
4. Schulz, G. ''The Green and Virtual Data Center''. CRC Press, 2009. ISBN 1420086669.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 and and 2017 (elective course)
- Computer Security, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Computer Systems and Networks, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web and Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Master Informatics, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (VO)
- Specialization System Programming, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (elective course)
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (elective course)