Distributed Systems and Computing
- Jan Janeček (guarantor)
- Jan Janeček (guarantor), Jan Fesl, Peter Macejko
- Department of Computer Systems
Students are introduced to methods for coordination of processes in distributed environment characterised by nondeterministic time responses of computing processes and communication channels. They learn basic algorithms that assure correctness of computations realized by a group of loosely coupled processes and mechanisms that support high availability of both data and services, and safety in case of failures.
Basic knowledge in the area of operating systems, computer networks and communication.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Distributed applications, communication methods
2. Procedural communication - XML-RPC, CORBA, Java RMI, SOAP/RESTful
3. Model of distributed computation, simple examples
4. Snapshots of distributed computation, logic time
5. Wave algorithm, algorithm symmetry - server selection
6. Exclusive access algorithms
7. Deadlock prediction and detection - on resource sharing and communication
8. Termination of distributed application, quoras
9. Data sharing and replication, distributed databases
10. P2P systems and DHT technologies
11. Agent applications, mobility of computation
12. Architecture of clouds technologies, computation methods
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Practices introduction
2. Java RMI
6. Semestral project presentation
- Study Objective:
The module focuses on the distributed computation viewed as an asynchronous cooperation of a group of finite state machines. Substantial part of the lectures is devoted to typical distributed computing techniques: ensuring causality, exclusive access, dealing with deadlocks, fault protection, mobility of computation, and security. The course is concluded with an overview of techniques for distributed data storages using the DHT (Distributed Hash Table) method and an overview of systems with mobile computing components.
- Study materials:
Janeček J.: Distribuované systémy. (in Czech language)
Janeček J., Kubr J., Červený M.: Distribuované systémy - cvičení. (in Czech language)
Tanenbaum A. S.: Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms (2nd Edition).
Tel G.: Introduction to Distributed Algorithms.
Lynch N.A.: Distributed Algorithms.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 and and 2017 (elective course)
- Computer Security, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Computer Systems and Networks, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Design and Programming of Embedded Systems, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web and Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Web Engineering, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Master Informatics, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (VO)
- Specialization System Programming, Presented in Czech, Version 2016 to 2019 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2016-2017 (elective course)
- Specialization Computer Science, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (VO)
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, Version 2018 to 2019 (elective course)