Organic Chemistry 1
- Stanislav Smrček, Ján Kozempel (guarantor), Martin Vlk
- Stanislav Smrček, Ján Kozempel (guarantor), Ekaterina Kukleva, Martin Vlk
- Department of Nuclear Chemistry
Structure of organic compounds, properties of covalent bond, reactions on covalent bonds. Nomenclature of organic compounds (main chain, group, locants, prefixes and suffixes) . Spatial structures of organic compounds, double bond isomers, chirality, enantiomers and diastereomeric compounds. Configuration and conformation, relationships. Lewis structures, formal charges, acidity, hard and soft acids and bases. Resonance, aromaticity, classification of substituents, reactivity of polycyclic arenes. Intermediates: carbocations, carbanions, carbenes, radicals - electronic structure. Basic overview on alkanes and cycloalkanes, alkenes, arenes, halogenderivatives, organometallic compounds, alcohols and ethers, organic compounds of sulfur, nitrogen, phosphorus, silicon, other elements and carbonyl compounds chemistry.
Combined witten and oral exam. Minimal score to pass the written test is 60%.
Two pre-exam tests are compulsory during semester with minimal score of 60%. Exact dates would be annonced at the beginning of the course.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.Introduction to organic chemistry, structural theories, main groups of organic compounds, nomenclature basics.
2.Chemical bonds in organic compounds, electronic effects, resonances, isomerism, conformations, configuration, chirality.
3.Alkanes and cycloaclanes ? nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity.
4.Alkenes, cycloalkenes, polyenes, alkynes ? nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity.
5.Arenes, theory of aromaticity, nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity.
6.Halogen derivatives ? nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity. Organometallic compounds.
7.Alcohols and Ethers, structure, preparation, reactivity.
8.Sulphides, other compounds of Sulphur, compounds of Phosphorus, Silicon and other elements ? nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity, their use.
9.Nitro- compounds and amines ? nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity and their use.
10.Amines ? reactivity, reactions of amines as bases and nucleophiles, diazo compounds and their reactions.
11.Carbonyl compounds, structure of carbonyl, reactivity centres, basic reactions of carbonyls.
12.Aldehydes and ketones ? nomenclature, structure, preparation, reactivity, adition of carbanions, condensation reactions.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Nomenclature of organic compounds
2. Structure of organic compounds, structural representations, structural models, isomerism
3. Basics of reactions mechanisms
4. Basics of organic synthesis
5. Reactions of alkenes, alkynes
6. Reactions and preparation of halogen derivatives
7. Reactions and preparation of alcohols and sulfides
8. Reactions and preparation of organometallic compounds
9. Reactions and preparation of amino-, nitro- a diazo- compounds
10. Condensation reactions and preparation of carbonyl compounds
- Study Objective:
The course of Organic chemistry 1 provides the knowledge of the basic concepts of the structure and nomenclature of organic compounds, reaction mechanisms. Students would gain basic overview on alkanes and cycloalkanes, alkenes, arenes, halogenderivatives, organometallic compounds, alcohols and ethers, organic compounds of sulfur, nitrogen, phosphorus, silicon, other elements and carbonyl compounds chemistry, nomenclature, structure, preparation and use.
The students will acquire competence to apprehend the advanced specialised organic chemistry courses.
- Study materials:
Smrček S., Kozempel J.: Electronic presentation of organic chemistry course, available on FNSPE website.
Other recommended literature:
McMurry J.: Organic chemistry, Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning, ISBN 9780534389994.
Lewis D.E. Organic Chemistry ? a Modern Perspective, Times Mirror Education Group, Inc. Dubunque 1996, ISBN 0697350916.
- Time-table for winter semester 2018/2019:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2018/2019:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- BS Jaderná chemie (compulsory course of the specialization)