Industrial Building Steel Structures
- Department of Steel and Timber Structures
Amplifying of theoretical knowledge in the field of design of steel structures, aimed to the industrial and energetic buildings. Complementation of knowledge in material properties of steel and its choice for load bearing structures, reliability of design process, stability of compressed members, lateral and torsional stability of girders, buckling of plates, torsion, fatigue, thin walled cold formed members and demanding composite steel and concrete structures. Deepening of knowledge concerning tall buildings and earthquake design. Detailed design of industrial buildings, crane girders, special structures (masts, pylons, towers, chimneys, tanks, silos and pipelines, technological structures). Design of steel scaffold.
Bachelor's degree is required before this course.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Material properties of steel, choice of steel grade, loading of industrial buildings.
2. Members under tension, compression, stability, buckling.
3. Stability and buckling resistance of steel plates, buckling of Class 4 cross sections.
4. Lateral and torsional stability of beams, shear buckling.
5. Torsion of members.
6. Fatigue of steel structures.
7. Composite steel and concrete structures
8. Steel scaffold
9. Industrial buildings with cranes.
10. Large span structures.
11. Masts, towers and chimneys.
12. Silos, tanks and pipelines.
13. Technological structures - buildings for power engineering
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Steel frame - design of the column and frame cross beam, including initial imperfections and influence of second order.
2. Design of crane girder
3. Design of steel silo.
- Study Objective:
Acquirement of deep abilities in the field of design of steel building structures.
- Study materials:
1. Studnička, J.: Navrhování nosných konstrukcí. Ocelové konstrukce, CTN (Nakladatelství ČVUT), 2015, ISBN 978-80-01-05490-1
2. Macháček J., Studnička J.: Ocelové konstrukce, ČVUT, 2011
3. Silva L.S., Simoes R., Gervásio, H.: Design of steel structures. ECCS Eurocode Design Manuals, Ernst & Sohn, 2010, 438 p.
4. Trahair, Bradford, Nethercot, Gardner: The behaviour and design of steel structures to EC3. Taylor and Francis, 2008, 490 p. [ISBN: 9780415418652]
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: