- Dalibor Nosek (guarantor)
- Department of Physics
Experimental facts on cosmic rays, ideas on their origin and their detection at the Earth. Properties of cosmic rays, phenomenology, origin, acceleration and propagation. Gamma rays in Universe. Detection techniques of cosmic rays, cosmic ray interaction with the Earth atmosphere, extended air showers.
Secondary school knowledges.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. The energy spectrum of cosmic rays
2. The composition of cosmic rays
3. Acceleration and propagation of cosmic rays
4. Secondary cosmic radiation: pions and muons
5. Extensive air showers
6. Development of an electromagnetic cascade in the Earth atmosphere
7. Ultra-high-energy cosmic ray showers: the GZK effect
8. Detection of extensive air showers
9. X-Rays astronomy
10. gamma-Ray astronomy, gamma-ray bursts
11. Atmospheric and solar neutrinos
12. Summary: current results and problems
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Possible sources of cosmic rays, propagation and interaction in the atmosphere.
Orientation in measurements of cosmic rays and data analysis.
- Study materials:
 C.Grupen, Astroparticle Physics, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2005. Chapters 6 a 7.
 D.H.Perkins, Particle Astrophysics, Oxford University Press, 2003, Chapter 6.
 T.K.Gaisser, Cosmic Ray and Particle Physics, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Experimentální jaderná a částicová fyzika (elective course)