Safety of Data Transmission and Processing
- Department of Biomedical Informatics
The orientation of this course is focused to the essential mathematical theory and presents contemporary algorithms and applications of cryptography. Both symmetrical and asymmetrical cryptographic systems are mentioned. The course also contains a primer of quantum cryptography and cryptonalysis.
Final exam grading is in part derived from the quality of presented homework and activity at seminars.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Modular arithmetic essentials, Number theory essentials, Fundamental theorem of arithmetic
2. Mathematical fundaments of cryptograhy, Substitution ciphers
3. Block, transposition and exponential ciphers, key exchange.
4. Information theory, Complexity theory
5. Hashing functions, MD5, SHA-x, HMAC
6. Chinese Remainder Theorem, Prime number tests, Stream ciphers, RC4
7. Stream ciphers, block ciphers, DES, 3DES, AES, cipher operating modes
8. Asymmetric cryptography 1
9. Asymmetric cryptography 2
10. Shared secret
11. Quantum cryptography introduction
12. Introduction to cryptanalysis
13. Elliptic curve cryptography
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1.Modular arithmetic essentials 1
2.Modular arithmetic essentials 2, substitution ciphers, affine ciphers
3.Block, transposition, Vigenere, and exponential ciphers.
4.Information theory, complexity theory.
6.Prime number tests, RC4 stream cipher
7.Operations in GF(2^8), homework assignments
12.SSL encryption, homework consultations and evaluation
13.Homework consultations and evaluation, credit
- Study Objective:
Introduce the essential mathematical theory and presents contemporary algorithms and applications of cryptography. The course also contains a primer of quantum cryptography and cryptonalysis.
- Study materials:
 J. Pribyl: Informacní bezpecnost a utajování zpráv. Vydavatelství CVUT. Praha 2004
 Nemec, K.: Datová komunikace, Skripta pro predmet Datová komunikace. VUTIUM, Brno, 2000.
 Tomás Dosedel, Pocítacová bezpecnost a ochrana dat, 2004, ISBN: 80-251-0106-1.
 Hanácek, P., Staudek, J.: Bezpecnost informacních systému, USIS, Praha, 2000, s. 127, ISBN80-238-5400-3
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Informatics - combined study (compulsory course)