- Department of Biomedical Informatics
Database function principles, methodology of relational data model design and object data model. Database systems implementation using of SQL92 and script language PHP inside relational database MYSQL. Database systems implementation using of SQL92 and script language VB inside postrelational database CACHE.
Transition data processing. Architecture of client-server and distributed database systems. Both principles relational and postreational will practice and show. Database CACHE includes both principles. It is database service for NIS.
Attendance in all exercises (maximum 3 excused absences) and succesfully graduating of final test (minimum 50 points from 100).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Contens of object. Clasification of object. Historical development of database systems. Introduction to theory DBS - database, system of database control and database system.
2. Principles of engineering software - life cycle of develop SW, meth methodology design of SW. Approach to design data model - network, hierarchical and relational.
3. Methodology of relational data model design. Modelling of real spac space. Chen's E-R diagram - entity, relational set, relation, attribute, cardinal of relation, primary and foreign key, conceptual and logic model.
4. Relational algebra - basic operation, examples. Relational calculus - en - entity and domain calculus, examples.
5. Normalization of data models - meaning of normalization, fuctional depe dependencies, rules of normal forms. Integrity limitation - domain, column, entity and referential.
6. Introduction to query languages. Properties of SQL language. Exam Examples of using comand SELECT - simple queries, conditions of selection, tables union.
7. Next commands for data manipulation - INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE.
8. Commands for data definicion - create, modification, drop tables and and their limitation. Commands for data control - administration of access and transactional processing. Meaning of indices and views.
9. Transactions - properties ACID, parallel processing and its risk, seri serial shedules, two phase locked proceeding, others locked proceeding, mistakes refreshment, log file.
10. Architecture client-server and distributed database systems and the their characteristics.
11. XML - conception of XML - declaration of elements, declaration of att attributs, validation.
12. Unified object database architecture, object or relational data app approach.
13. Relations between objects and tables, queries to objects.
14. Summary of database problems.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Contens of exercises and their classification. Check of acces to web server and mySQL server for students.
2. Introduce to students administration tool phpMyAdmin and basic functions of PHP for connect database MySQL.
3. Start working on first task - creating form and using command SELECT above database tables.
4. Next working on first task - show others using command SELECT with clause WHERE, ON, GROUP BY, etc.
5. Inserting records into database table by created form and command INSERT.
6. Finish task - change records by command UPDATE and their deleting by DELETE.
7. Union tables by inner join and left join, creation nested queries.
8. Principles of transactional processing, log file using.
9. Principles of dumping database and its replication.
10. Development database application by students under supervision.
11. Creation definition of class in Cache database, creation of class properties, create queries to database and make compile of class.
12. Web form Creation for class by Caché Server Pages(CSP) language, with using of Caché Web Form Wizard.
13. Creation of definition tables views by Caché SQL Manager, administration of users, import and export of data, which was taken from NIS exercises.
14. Creation of new object instance by Visual Basic into Cache dat database, save objects, open existing objevts, queries run from Visual Basic.
- Study Objective:
To provide students with principles of working with databases and managing the methodology of designing relational data models. Implementation of database using of SQL92 standard and PHP script language. Creation of technical documentation and work presentation.
- Study materials:
David Flanagan: The Ruby Programming Language, IS:10-0596516177
Jesse Libert: Programming C# 3.0, ISBN:10-0596527438
Alex Martell:Python Cookbook, ISBN:10-1596007973
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Biomedical Informatics - combined study (compulsory course)