Introduction to Cryogenics
- Department of Process Engineering
The course deals with an introduction to design and operation of cryogenics apparatuses. The fundamental principles and technologies of ultra-low temperatures achievement, construction materials and equipment design are presented in the course. The examples of manufacturing, mounting and operation of apparatuses working at low temperatures are discussed.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Fundamentals of thermomechanics, principles of power cycles for low temperature achievement 2. Construction materials and their suitable mechanical parameters for cryogenics.3. Working fluids of cryogenics and thermal insulation.4. Basic types of apparatuses, principle of their functions, construction ? cryostats and cryogenerators.5. Technology lines of low temperature application ? air separator, gas liquefier.6. Technology lines of low temperature application ? storage and transport of liquid gases.7. Cryogenic equipment design, heat balances.8. Strain and stress analysis of equipment.9. Manufacturing, mounting and service of cryogenics apparatuses. 10. Sealing, materials, impermeability.11. Measurement of physical quantities, control and regulation of apparatuses.12. Special properties of materials at low temperatures. Superconductivity. 13. Work safety in low temperature environment.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Heat balance of power cycle.2. Cryostat design. 3. Technology of gad liquefying.4. Stress analysis of cryostat. 5. Design of cryogenics apparatus sealing.6. Temperature and pressure measurement.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Weisend J.G: Handbook of Cryogenic Enginnering, Taylor, 1998
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: