- Grading of the course requires grading of the following courses:
- Geometric and Opthalmic Optics (17PBOOGB)
- Jiří Novák (guarantor), Martin Fůs, Martin Fůs, Ján Lešták
- Jiří Novák (guarantor), Martin Fůs, Ján Lešták
- Department of Natural Sciences
Functional principles of different diagnostic and therapeutic ophthalmic devices will be discussed. Students will be able to test most of machines during practical lessons at clinical department. Overview, physical principles, technical construction and parameters of following devices and methods will be studied: slit lamp, ophthalmoscope (direct and indirect, confocal scanning), retinoscope, refractometer, tonometer, campimeter, Heidelberg retinal tomograph, optical coherence tomography, retinal nerve fibre layer analysis (GDx), specular (endothelial) microscope, devices for subjective investigation of astigmatism, devices for investigation of ocular movements, corneal topohraphs, testing of refractive balance, eikonometer, POLA-test, ortopic machines, Hertel exophthalmometer, devices for color vision testing.
Continuous tasks + passing the test.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Basic principles of eye diagnostics. Basic instruments and tools in ophthalmologic practice I (eye charts, slit lamp)
2. Basic instruments and tools in ophthalmologic practice II (direct and indirect opthalmoscopy, tonometry).
3. Instruments and methods for refraction examination (autorefractometer, skiascopy, Hartinger coincidence refractometer, Plusoptix, wavefront aberrometry) - basic principles
4. Instruments for cornea examination I (keratometer, corneal topography, pachymetry)
5. Instruments for cornea examination II (Scheimpflug principle, specular microscope)
6. Instruments for examination of optical nerve and visual field (HRT, GDx, perimetry)
7. Instruments for examination of retina (OCT, RTA), funduscamera, fluorescence angiography
8. Ultrasound in ophthalmology, ultrabiomicroscopy
9. Instruments for examination of oculomotoric functions and binocular vision
10. Instruments for examination of color sense
11. Lasers in ophthalmology I
12. Lasers v opthalmology II
- Syllabus of tutorials:
Subject matter of excersises follows lectures.
- Study Objective:
Functional principles of different diagnostic a therapeutic ophtalmic devices.
- Study materials:
1. Kaschke M.: Optical Devices in Ophthalmology and Optometry: Technology, Design Principles and Clinical Applications. Wiley VCH, 2013.
2. Tunnaclife A.H.: Introduction to Visual Optics. The Gresham Press, London 1993.
3. Benjamin, W.: Borish's Clinical Refraction. Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier, 2006.
4. Rabbetts R.B.: Clinical Visual Optics, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007.
Teaching materials can be found here:
- Time-table for winter semester 2020/2021:
Tue Fri Thu Fri
- Time-table for summer semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans: