Preparation of Semiconductor Nanostructures
- Eduard Hulicius (guarantor)
- Eduard Hulicius (guarantor), Milan Šiňor
- Department of Physical Electronics
Lectures will introduce students to modern methods of preparation of semiconductors, their compounds and structures. Differences between nanoelectronics and microelectronics will be explained. Physico-chemical fundaments of different technologies will be discussed. Substantive attention will be devoted to epitaxial technologies, which are substantial for semiconductor nanostructure preparation. Particular emphasis will be focused on characterization „in situ“ and „ex situ“ techniques. Optical, structural, electron and other methods will be described, their application to heterostructure and nanostructure growths will be discussed. Some supportive technical methods - lithography, diffusion, evaporation, ion implantation, contact and dielectric layer preparation will be mentioned as well as soldering and encasement. Examples of exploitation of nanostructures and heterostructures for semiconductor sources of radiation and detectors will be discussed at the end.
Basic course of Quantum Physics, for better understanding also Solid State Physics, eventually Crystallography.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Heterostructures, nanostructures, quantum size structures.
2. Preparation of bulk semiconductor monocrystals.
3. Principles of the epitaxial growth of layers and structures.
4. Epitaxial techniques for semiconductor nanostructure preparation - Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE) and Metal Organic Vapour Phase Epitaxy (MOVPE).
5. „In situ“ and „Ex situ“ characterisation techniques.
6. Supportive technical methods - lithography, diffusion, evaporation, ion implantation, contact and dielectric layer preparation.
7. Examples of exploitation of nanostructures and heterostructures for semiconductor sources of radiation and detectors.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Knowledge: advanced knowledge of semiconductor nanostructure preparation techniques, of principles of fundamental technologies, main materials used in semiconductor nanoelectronics and applications.
Skills: advanced orientation in the field of semiconductor nanostructure preparation techniques. Applications and understanding of principles of main technologies, practical demonstration of principles on selected specific problems, such as quantum wells and dots, quantum cascade lasers, and (nano)photovoltaic cells.
- Study materials:
 E. L. Wolf, Nanophysics and Nanotechnology, WILEY-VCH, 2004.
 V. A. Schukin, N. N. Ledentsov, D. Bimberg, Epitaxy of Nanostructures, Springer-Verlag, 2004.
 M. A. Herman, W. Richter, H. Sitter, Epitaxy, Springer-Verlag, 2004.
 G. Gao, Nanostructures and Nanomaterials, Imperial College Press, 2004.
 K. Iga, S. Kinoshita, Process Technology for Semiconductor Lasers, Springer-Verlag, 1996.
 V. M. Ustinov, A. E. Zhukov, A. Y. Egorov, N. A. Maleev, Quantum dot lasers, Oxford University Press, 2003.
 T. Numai, Fundamentals of Semiconductor lasers, Springer-Verlag, 2004.
 D. Sands, Diode lasers, Institute of Physics Publishing, Series in Optics and Optoelectronics, 2005.
 M. Grundmann, Nano-optoelectronics, Springer-Verlag, 2002.
- Time-table for winter semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Optika a nanostruktury (elective course)