Radiological Physics - Nuclear Medicine
- Department of Dosimetry and Application of Ionizing Radiation
Principles of nuclear medicine, radionuclides and radiopharmacology - production, requirements and characteristics, activity and physical characteristics of radionuclides used in NM; scintigraphy - gamma camera, collimators, gamma camera parameters, optimization. Image quality in NM. Tomographic imaging in NM - SPECT, PET - radiation detectors, image acquisition and reconstruction, reconstruction methods, attenuation correction, clinical application examples. Computerized data processing in NM. QC - measuring devices parameters and methods of measurement. Methods for radiation stress determination/estimation - compartment analysis, dosimetry of internal radiation sources, effective dose estimation. In-vivo and in-vitro diagnostic methods. Radiation protection of staff members and patients, personal dosimetry, monitoring, related legislation. Technical norms and legislation (acceptance tests, commissioning, audits).
Required prerequisities are 16ZDOZ1, 16ZDOZ2, 16DETE, 16JRF1, 16JRF2.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. RADIONUCLIDES AND RADIOPHARMACEUTICALS.
2. RADIATION DETECTION IN NUCLEAR MEDICINE.
4. NUCLEAR MEDICINE IMAGE QUALITY:
5. TOMOGRAPHICAL IMAGING, SPECT.
6. TOMOGRAPHICAL IMAGING, PET:
7. COMPUTERIZED DATA PROCESSING IN NUCLEAR MEDICINE.
8. QUALITY CONTROL.
9. RADIATION DOSES TO PATIENTS.
10. DIAGNOSTICAL METHODS IN-VIVO a IN-VITRO.
11. RADIATION PROTECTION.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Radiopharmaceuticals, radionuclide, chemical and pharmaceutical purity, using examples.
2. Scintillation detectors, semiconductor detectors, measurement activities, 4pi geometry.
3. Efficiency, energy resolution, liquid scintillators, the measurement statistics.
4. Apparatus for measuring in-vitro and in vivo.
5. Scintillation camera, collimator, energy properties, and spectrometric set.
6. Image quality in nuclear medicine, the spatial resolution - influencing factors, methods of evaluation.
- Study Objective:
Knowledge about principles of nuclear medicine and radionuclides using for radiopharmacology.
Determination of radiation exposure of patients, the use of compartmental analysis, the use of dosimetry of internal emitters to estimate the effective dose, dose reduction methods.
- Study materials:
 Physics in Nuclear Medicine by James A. Sorenson & Michael E. Phelps (Editors) (August 2003)
 Medizinische Physik, Bd.2, Medizinische Strahlenphysik von J. Bille, W. Schlegel Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (April 2002)
 The Essential Physics of Medical Imaging, J.T. Bushberg et al, 2002
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Radiologická fyzika (compulsory course of the specialization)