Fundamentals of Polymer Processing
- Department of Process Engineering
Rheology and rheometry. Basic processing unit operations: transport of viscous and granular materials, mixing of highly viscous fluids, convective heat transfer in non-Newtonian fluids, melting. Design, principles and basic calculations of following equipment and processes: extrusion, calendering, injection molding, blow molding, compression molding. Fundamentals of synthetic fiber production
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.Introduction. The shear flow. The rate of deformation and dynamic stress tensors forms.
2.Material functions. Unsteady shear flow. General rheological constitutive equations.
3.Rheometry. Viscometer with coaxial cylinders, determination of power-law parameters.
4.Capillary viscometer, determination of power-law parameters. Cone and plate viscometer and rheogoniometer.
5.Power-law flow in slit. Pumping and pumps for highly viscous fluids.
6. Screw pump - velocity profiles, flow rate, differential pumping characteristic.
7. Screw pump - power consumption, differential power characteristic.
8. Screw pump -integral isothermal and adiabatic pumping characteristics.
9. Differential and integral isothermal and adiabatic die characteristics.
10. Screw conveyor. Mixing-introduction, distribution functions of continuous and batch mixer. Mixing in screw. Mixers.
11. Convective heat transfer in power-law fluids. Melting - methods, melting with drag induced melt removal.
12. Extrusion -introduction, extruders. Length of melting zone. Extrusion dies. Extrusion lines.
13. Calendering- introduction, pressure profile, force, velocity profile, power.
14. Injection molding. Blow molding. Compression molding. Fundamental principles of synthetic fiber production.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1.Measusrement on viscometer with coaxial cylinders and cone and plate viscometer.
2.Generalized Maxwell model at shear flow. Measurement of Bingham model parameters on viscometer with coaxial cylinders.
3.Capillary viscometer, determination of Bingham model parameters. Evaluation of measurement on cone and plate rheogoniometer.
4.Calculation of pressure drop of power-law fluid in slit. Calculation of wire coating die.
5.Calculation of screw pump characteristics.
6.Comparison of screw pump characteristics. Effect of geometrical parameters.
7.Calculation of disc pump.
8. Distribution functions F(t*), F(g*) at power-law fluids flow in slit and between coaxial cylinders.
9. Heating of polymer solution in tube.
10. Dissipative heating in rotational viscometer.
11. Calculation of melting zone length. Calculation of calender.
12. Excursion in production plant.
13. Excursion in production plant.
14. Force calculation at compression molding.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
Literature: Tadmor Z., Gogos C.: Principles of polymer processing. J.Wiley 1979.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: