French for Intermediate Students M1
- Zuzana Panáčková (guarantor)
- Department of Languages
French - intermediate FM
The objective of this three-semester course is to improve and further develop communication in the French language in both written and oral form. Students will be able to communicate in social interaction and in academic, scientific and professional environment. They will be able to use the language to transmit general and technical information and to solve problems.
The course builds on and further develops linguistic competence acquired at secondary school. It revises, systemizes and expands language skills gained in previous study. The following topics are covered: University studies in our country and in France, writing of transactional letters, CV, personal statement, request, answer to an advert, French culture and geography, Paris.
Topics of specialization: mathematics, physics. Reading technical and popular science texts, work based on these texts.
French language knowledge/competence at level A2 of CEFR(Common European Framework)
- Syllabus of lectures:
Topics of the course: university and higher education studies in our country and in France, writing personal and official letters, applications, cv, answer to a job advert, topics from French culture, Paris.
Specific topics: Mathematics, Physics - Mechanics. Reading and interpreting technical/popular science texts.
Language structures - revision, expansion: articles, nouns and adjectives, position, irregular plurals, irregular verbs, reflective verbs, imperative, past tenses passé composé and imparfait,numerals, numbers, time, demonstrative and object pronouns.
Functions and general topics are revised (agreement, opinion, town, getting around).
- Syllabus of tutorials:
The course is run as a series of seminars following the topics and the syllabus.
- Study Objective:
Knowledge of morphology, syntax, and lexis at the level appropriate to the course, namely: regular and irregular verb structures in present, past and future tenses, condition, modality. Adjectives, comparison, adverbs, pronouns. Vocabulary expansion, both general and specific (of mathematics and physics). Pronunciation and spelling developed together with new vocab and grammar.
Application of acquired knowledge in everyday communication and in more professional contexts. Reading for information of general and popular science texts, extracting information, global understanding. Oral communication in everyday and typical student´s situation, delivering a presentation on a technical topic. Writing of: a formal letter, cv, instruction for use, presentation on a technical or popular science topic.
Qualify for admission to the higher level course.
- Study materials:
Lecture notes: Z.Panáčková: French for Engineering Students of FJFI, ČVUT 2002
Espace I, Hachette , Paris 1990
Panorama 2, Clé International, Paris 2004
Lessons 1 - 5 of electronic lecture notes
Journal La Recherche,
grammar handbooks, dictionaries, audio program, map, French Painting Publication, classroom for language study, the Internet
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- BS Matematické inženýrství - Matematické modelování (elective course)
- BS Matematické inženýrství - Matematická fyzika (elective course)
- BS Matematické inženýrství - Aplikované matematicko-stochastické metody (elective course)
- BS Matematická informatika (elective course)
- BS Informatická fyzika (elective course)
- BS Aplikace softwarového inženýrství (elective course)
- BS Aplikovaná informatika (elective course)
- BS jaderné inženýrství B (elective course)
- BS Jaderné inženýrství C (elective course)
- BS Dozimetrie a aplikace ionizujícího záření (elective course)
- BS Experimentální jaderná a částicová fyzika (elective course)
- BS Radiologická technika (elective course)
- BS Inženýrství pevných látek (elective course)
- BS Diagnostika materiálů (elective course)
- BS Fyzika a technika termojaderné fúze (elective course)
- BS Fyzikální elektronika (elective course)
- Bc Laser Technology and Instrumentation (elective course)
- BS Fyzikální technika (elective course)
- BS Jaderná chemie (elective course)