Fundamentals of Radiation Dosimetry
- Department of Dosimetry and Application of Ionizing Radiation
Development and objectives of radiation dosimetry, quantities and units in dosimetry and radiation protection (definitions and interpretations), sources of ionizing radiation, fields, interactions, ionization, transfer and absorption of energy, biological effects of ionizing radiation, mikrodozimetry.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Development, objectives, and recent role of dosimetry.
2. Terminology, quantities, and units in nuclear physics and dosimetry.
3. Sources of ionizing radiation, activity.
4. Decay chains.
5. Emission of a source.
6. Radiation field - quantities and units used for description of directly and indirectly ionizing radiation. Radiation and charge particle equilibrium.
7. Interaction of ionizing radiation with matter - quantities describing interactions of photons and neutrons with matter.
8. Interaction of ionizing radiation with matter - quantities describing interactions of charged particles with matter.
9. Exposure and kerma - definitions. Relation between exposure and kerma.
10. Imparted energy a dose. Comparison of dose, exposure, and kerma. Microdosimetry.
11. Biological effects of ionizing radiation, equivalent dose, effective dose.
12. Operational quantities for staff and working environment monitoring. System of radiation protection. Limitation of irradiation and dose limits.
13. Summary and test.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Knowledge of quantities and units in radiological physics and dosimetry.
Application of quantities and units in radiological physics and dosimetry.
- Study materials:
 Fundamentals of Dosimetry, J. Sabol, CVUT publicatin, 1992 (in Czech)
 Handbook of Dosimetry and Radiation Protection, J. Sabol, CVUT publication, 1996 (in Czech)
 ČSN ISO 31-9 Quantities and Units - Part 9: Atomic and Nuclear Physic (in Czech)
 ČSN ISO 31-10 Quantities and Units - Part 10: Nuclear reactions and ionizing radiation (in Czech)
 J.J. Bevelacqua: Basic Health Physics: Problems and Solutions, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 1999, ISBN-10:0471297119, IABN-13: 978-0471297116
 K. Arshak - O. Korostynska: Advanced Materials and Techniques for Radiation Dosimetry, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2000.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: