Work with Information Sources and Research Methodology
- Department of Biomedical Technology
Methodical starting points of research. Methods and technology of research. Logic of scientific research. Theoretical starting points of research. Scientific information as a fool for everyday work. Structure of scientific information, possibility for their acquisition, methods of processing and application in practice. Description of principles for searching for scientific
information. Description of specific systems, namely from health service. Final report.
Assessment: active participation on the solution of excercises
Examination: fulfillment of requirements for assessment, knowledges covering the extent of the course
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.Types of research, legal aspects and financial support.
2.Clinical trials-aims, importance, types. Pharmaceutical clinical trials and their phases.
3.Correct and incorrect usage of statistics and testing of hypotheses. Interpretation of results.
4.Statistical analysis-different statistical tests and their selection. Errors and avoiding them.
5.Animal experiments-legal aspects, accessibility, practical information.
6.Ethics in research and clinical trials, ethical committees, informed consent, good clinical practice (GCP).
7.Information resources and their relevancy.
8.Writing of scientific and professional abstracts. Requirements on bachelor and diploma theses. Articles for journals.
9.Presentations of results-tables, charts, diagrams. Multimedia presentations.
10.Czech formal language.
11.English formal language.
12.Redaction and DTP work.
13.Patents and legal aspects.
14.Grants and grant process. European research and student projects.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Work with scientific articles
2. Work with scientific articles
3. Structure of scientific writing
4. Structure of scientific writing
5. Diploma and bachelor theses
6. Diploma and bachelor theses
7. Methodology and evaluation of experiments and clinical trials
8. Methodology and evaluation of experiments and clinical trials
9. Formal Czech language
10. Formal Czech language
11. Redaction work and DTP
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 Gustavii B.: How to Write and Illustrate a Scientific Paper. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003.
 Jordan R. R.: Academic Writing Course - New Edition. Nelson, Walton-on-Thames, 2002.
 Liška, V.: DOCTORANDUS (průvodce budoucích Ph.D.). Praha, Profesional Publishing 2004.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Systematic Integration of processes in Health Service - full-time (compulsory elective course)