Basic Applications of Ionizing Radiation in Medicine
- Department of Dosimetry and Application of Ionizing Radiation
Basic overview of medical application of ionizing radiation: X-ray diagnostics, computed tomography, image acquisition and processing, nuclear medicine - radionuclides, radiopharmaceutics, in vivo vs. in vitro investigations, imaging methods, radiation detectors in NM, gammacamera, tomographical imaging in NM - SPECT, PET, radiation protection in NM, radiation oncology - basic terminology, radiation treatment planning, radiological equipment, quality control, brachyradiotherapy, special radiotherapy methods - IMRT, stereotactic irradiation, BNCT. Radiation protection in health care - relevant quantities, methods of their determination, patient vs. staff, legislation.
16ZDOZ, 16DETE, 16JRF1,16JRF2
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction, history, classification, radiation sources and their physical properties, contrast material, detectors.
2. X-RAY DIAGNOSTICS.
3. COMPUTED TOMOGRAPHY.
4. IMAGE ACQUISITION AND PROCESSING.
5. NUCLEAR MEDICINE.
6. SCINTIGRAPHY, PLANAR IMAGING.
7. TOMOGRAPHICAL IMAGING IN NM.
8. RADIATION ONCOLOGY.
9. RADIATION TREATMENT PLANNING.
10. QUALITY CONTROL.
11. SPECIAL RADIATION THERAPY.
12. RADIATION PROTECTION IN HEALH CARE.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Measurement of activity in vivo, in vitro measurements, the detectors in nuclear medicine.
2. Suitable radionuclides, radiopharmaceuticals, tomographic spatial resolution, clinical applications.
3. The target volume, critical body simulator.
4. Planning system, basic principles, input-output plan, the spatial distribution of benefits and its verification.
5. Clinical dosimetry, absolute dose measurements, phantom measurements.
6. Neutron capture therapy, clinical applications.
7. Calculations of benefits patients, radiopharmaceutical dosimetry - the method of calculating benefits.
- Study Objective:
A basic overview of application of ionizing radiation in medicine, X-ray diagnostics, computed tomography - CT, PET, SPECT, NM.
Orientation in these methods and their application in specific cases.
- Study materials:
Jacob Van Dyk, The Modern Technology of Radiation Oncology: A Compendium for Medical Physicists and Radiation Oncologists, 1999
Jerrold T. Bushberg, et al., The Essential Physics of Medical Imaging (2nd Edition) 2001
Faiz M. Khan, The Physics of Radiation Therapy , 1994
James A. Sorenson, Michael E. Phelps, Physics in Nuclear Medicine, 2002
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: