- Department of Microelectronics
Electronic properties of semiconductors determined by their
crystal structure. Transport and statistics of electrons
and holes in equilibrium and non-equilibrium. Properties of
basic semiconductor structures (PN junction, heterojunction
based on band structure analysis. Systematic derivation of
semiconductor devices characteristics (diode, BJT, MOSFET,
JFET, laser) with special emphasis on non-ideal effects and
extracted circuit models. Essential trends of progress
Presence in labs and seminars, successful final test.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Crystal structure of semiconductors, crystal defects,
2. Semiconductor band structure, electron and hole
effective mass, density of states.
3. Semiconductor in thermodynamic equilibrium, Fermi level.
4. Carrier transport in semiconductors, electron and hole
5. Electrons and holes in nonequilibrium. Generation and
6. PN junction, heterojunctions - two dimensional electron
7. Semiconductor diodes, breakdown mechanisms, resonant
8. Bipolar junction transistor, calculation of current
amplification, HBT, nonideal effects.
9. Metal - semiconductor junction, modulation doping, JFET,
10. MOS, ideal and real structure, dielectrics, MOS
11. MOSFET, nonideal effects, short a narrow channel
12. Interaction of radiation with semiconductor, optical
13. Electroluminescence. Semiconductor lasers.
14. Quantum dots, single electron transport.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Basics of quantum mechanics - repetition.
2. Electron in the periodic potential, Kroning-Penney model
3. Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics - derivation.
4. Boltzmann transport equation, HD, DD models - derivation
5. Simulation by Monte Carlo method - demonstration.
6. Semiconductor processing - excursion.
7. Electron in the quantum well, tunnelling - Schrodinger
8. Model levels of semiconductor devices.
9. Showing of physical effects in semiconductors by
computer 2D simulation.
10. Measurement of transport properties - HEMT channel
11. Measurement on the unipolar structure - CV
12. Measurement on the semiconductor laser - spectral
13. Final written test
14. Final grading
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. D. A. Naemen: Semiconductor Physics and Devices: Basic
Principles, R. D. Irwin 1992
2. M. J. Kelly: Low-Dimensional Semiconductors, Oxford
3. U. Cilingiroglu: Systematic Analysis of Bipolar and MOS
Transistors, Artech House 1993
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: