- Department of Digital Design
Students learn to design embedded systems and develop software for them. They get basic knowledge of the most common microcontrollers and embedded processors, their integrated peripheral circuits, programming methods, and applications. They get practical skills with development kits and tools.
Programming in C, digital circuit design, computer structure and architecture.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction, embedded system definition, applications, design requirements.
2. Input/output ports, their configuration, interrupts, external bus.
3. Counters and timers, event processing circuits.
4. RTC, PWM, Watchdog, Power-fail.
5. Serial interfaces, serial communication, serial buses.
6. A/D and D/A converters, temperature sensors.
7. Displays, keyboards and touchscreens.
8. Memories and mass storage media.
9. Modern interfaces (USB, IrDA, BlueTooth).
10. Eight-bit and sixteen-bit microcontrollers.
11. Thirtytwo-bit microcontrollers.
12. Mobile platforms.
13. Embedded operating systems. Compilers and development tools.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Development tools, programming and debugging in C.
2. Task 1: LED control.
3. Task 2: Display control.
4. Task 3: Keyboard control.
5. Task 4: Waveform generation and processing.
6. Task 5: Pulse-width modulation.
7. Task 6: Analog-to-digital converter.
8. Task 7: Peripherals on a serial bus.
9. Task 8: Serial communication.
10. Task 9: Finite state machine implementation.
11.  Final task.
- Study Objective:
Devices such as MP3 players, GPS navigators, mobile phones, or PDAs belong to embedded systems and are a part of our daily life. The aim of the module is to teach students embedded system design and programming. Microcontroller- and embedded-processor-based systems are considered. Emphasis is given on commonly used integrated peripherals, their programming and utilization in applications. Modern computer interfaces, such as USB, IrDA, and BlueTooth, are also included. Laboratories are oriented practically. In a collection of tasks, students get experience in software development in C and development tools.
- Study materials:
1. Noergaard, T. ''Embedded Systems Architecture: A Comprehensive Guide for Engineers and Programmers''. Newnes, 2005. ISBN 0750677929.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: