Computer Structure and Architecture
- Martin Daňhel (guarantor)
- Martin Daňhel (guarantor), Kateřina Hyniová
- Department of Digital Design
Students understand basic digital computer units and their structures, functions, and hardware implementation: ALU, control unit, memory system, inputs, outputs, data storage and transfer. In the labs, students gain practical experience with the design and implementation of the logic of a simple processor using modern digital design tools. The subject teaches basic knowledge of digital computer construction principles, how a computer performs its operations, what is machine code, and what are its connections to higher programming languages.
Basic knowledge of physical principles of digital circuits (transistors as switches, implementation of registers, data storage principles) and fundamentals of discrete mathematics (number representation systems, Boolean algebra).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Computer organization, units and their interfaces. Logic functions, combinatorial components, gate-level design.
2. Structure of sequential components, description and implementation. Mealy and Moore type of implementation. Typical combinatorial and sequential components of a computer.
3. Data, storage and processing. Representation of negative numbers, fix-point and floating point numbers.
4. Implementation of arithmetic operations. Memory structures and design principles.
5. Computer memory system. Input-output components, buses and communication.
6. Instruction set architecture and machine code. Instruction cycle.
7. Control units.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Numeral systems and conversions. Representation of negative numbers and arithmetic operations. Fix point and floating point numbers. Combinatorial components design (gate level). Implementation of sequential components.
2.  Implementation of logic circuits. Hardware implementation of arithmetic operations. Memories. Simple processor structure and machine code. Machine code design. Machine code debugging. Assessment.
- Study Objective:
The subject teaches basic knowledge of digital computer construction principles, how a computer performs its operations, what is machine code and what are its connections to higher programming languages.
- Study materials:
1. Douša, J., Pluháček, A. ''Introduction to Computer Systems''. Praha: ČVUT, 2000. ISBN 80-01-02103-3.
2. Gajski, D. D. ''Principles of Digital Design''. Prentice Hall, 1996. ISBN 0133011445.
3. Friedman, A. D., Menon, P. R. ''Theory and Design of Switching Circuits''. Computer Science Press, 1975. ISBN 0914894528.
4. McCluskey, E. J. ''Logic Design Principles''. Prentice-Hall, 1986. ISBN 0135397685.
5. Sasao, T. ''Switching Theory for Logic Synthesis''. Springer, 1999. ISBN 0792384563.
- Time-table for winter semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2019/2020:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Bc. Programme Informatics, Part -Time Form of Study, in Czech, Version 2015 - 2020 (compulsory course in the program)
- Bc Branch Security and Information Technology, Part-Time Form, in Czech, Version 2015 to 2020 (compulsory course in the program)
- Bc.Branch WSI, Specialization Software Engineering, Part-Time Form, Versionverze 2015 - 2020 (compulsory course in the program)