Testing and Reliability
- Department of Digital Design
Students gain knowledge about circuit testing and about methods for increasing reliability and security. They will get practical skills to be able to prepare a test set with the help of the intuitive path sensitization and to use an ATPG for automatic test generation. They will be able to design easy testable circuits and systems with built-in-self-test equipment. They will be able to analyze and control reliability and availability of the designed circuits.
Digital IC design (BIE-SAP).
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction to testing of digital circuits, defects, errors, faults, failures.
2. Test generation for combinational circuits, intuitive path sensitization.
3. Automatic Test Patterns Generation (ATPG) algorithms.
4. Sequential circuits testing, fault simulation.
5. Design for Testability (DFT).
6. Sequential circuits testing - the scan design, IEEE 1149.
7. Interconnection testing, SoC testing, IEEE P1500.
8. Built-in Self Test (BIST).
9. Test compression.
10. FPGA and memory testing.
11. Reliability calculation.
12. Fail-safe systems, totally self-checking circuits, on-line testing.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. 1-3. Test pattern generation and optimization
2. 4-6. Individual project: Fault detection and localisation
3. 7. IEEE 1149 standard application
4. 8-11. Individual project: BIST design
5. 12-13. Individual project: Enhanced reliability system design
- Study Objective:
Students will gain an overview about circuit testing and about methods for increasing reliability and security. Students will understand the complexity of fault detection, fault localisation, reliability evaluation and enhancement by solving practical examples and projects. They will be able to optimize the trade-off between introduced redundancy and the measure of testability and security of the proposed system. Students will obtain a competence for getting a position of testing engineer in the teams working on complex digital designs.
- Study materials:
L.-T.Wang, C.-W.Wu, X.Wen. VLSI Test Principles and Architectures. Elsevier, 2006, 777 p.
O.Novak, E.Gramatova, R.Ubar. Handbook of Testing Electronic Systems. Czech TU Publishing House, 2005, 395 p.
S.Mourad, Y.Zorian. Principles of Testing Electronic Systems. J.Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, 2000, 420 p.
M.L. Bushnell, V.D. Agrawal. Essentials of Electronic Testing. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston / Dordrecht / London, 2000, 690 p.
E. Dubrova, Fault-Tolerant Design, Springer, 2013, 185 p.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Specialization System Programming, Presented in Czech, Version 2014, 2015 (elective course)
- Specialization Web Engineering, Presented in Czech, for Students who Enrolled in 2014 and 2015 (elective course)
- Knowledge Engineering, in Czech, Presented in Czech, for Students who Enrolled in 2015 (elective course)
- Master Informatics, Presented in Czech, Version for Students who Enrolled in 2015 (VO, elective course)
- Specialization Web and Software Engineering, in Czech, Version 2016, 2017 and 2018 (elective course)