Mobile Communication Networks
|QM-MKS||Z,ZK||4||2P + 2L|
- Department of Telecommunications Engineering
The subject discusses deals with evaluation of mobile networks and their future development. Students will obtain knowledge in network architecture and protocols used in these networks, they will learn about features and modifications that are introduced into the core and access networks. Furthermore, wireless local and metropolitan networks are described.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1.Telecommunication systems. Cordless telephones. Mobile cellular telephone networks - analogue systems.
2.Cellular networks. Modulation techniques. Mobile cellular telephone networks - digital systems. GSM.
3.GSM - architecture of systems and subsystems. Incorporation into existing and future networks.
4.Data transmission in GSM systems - HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE. Development, convergence
5.3rd generation of mobile systems - UMTS. Structure, standards. Future development.
6.WiFi. 802.XX. Individual systems and their applications.
7.WiMAX - 802.XX. Individual systems and their applications.
8.Mobile cellular telephone networks. LTE. Structure, standards. Future development.
9.Satellite communications. Telecommunication satellites - GEO, MEO, LEO. Individual systems and their applications.
10.Satellite communications. GNSS - GPS, GALILEO,... Individual systems and their applications.
11.Excursion (mobile operator?s supervisory center).
12.Short-range mobile networks - Bluetooth, ...
13.Applications of mobile networks and GNSS.
14.Public and private radio networks. Military applications. Paging systems.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction. Content of practices. Requirements to obtain the credit.
2. Analyses of mobile networks using Network Simulator 2 (I). Assignment of seminar projects.
3. Analyses of mobile networks using Network Simulator 2 (II).
4. Lab. task 1 (Cordless phone DECT).
5. Lab. task 1 (Cordless phone DECT).
6. Lab. task 2 (Data transmission in network 2G and 3G).
7. Lab. task 2 (Data transmission in network 2G and 3G).
8. Presentation of seminar projects (I).
9. Presentation of seminar projects (II).
10. Lab. task 3 (Network WLAN).
11. Lab. task 3 (Network WLAN).
12. Lab. task 4 (Network WMAN).
13. Lab. task 4 (Network WMAN).
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Halonen, T. - Romero, J. - Melero, J.: GSM, GPRS and EDGE Performance-2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. England 2003.
2. Holma, H. - Toskala, A.: WCDMA for UMTS, Radio Access for Third Generation Mobile Communications - 3rd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. England 2004.
3. Andrews, J. G. - Ghosh, A. - Muhamed, R.: Fundament sof WiMAX. Prenntice Hall. 2007.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: