Terrestrial and Satellite Radio Links
- Department of Electromagnetic Field
The goal of the course is to teach the student to design basic types of wireless links from the antennas and propagation point of view, including interference analyses for both fixed links and radio networks and frequency coordination. The design principles are primarily based on international ITU-R recommendations. In addition, the attention is given to prospective wireless systems as well, e.g., intelligent antenna systems.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Basic concepts, ITU-R recommendations
2. Design of line-of-sight microwave links
3. Fixed satellite link design
4. LF/MF link design
5. HF link design
6. Troposcatter links
7. Coverage planning for mobile terrestrial systems
8. Coverage planning for satellite systems
9. Interference analysis for line-of-sight links
10. Interference analysis in cellular networks
11. Software tools for planning of wireless links and systems
12. Measurement methods for RF planning
13. Adaptive antennas and prospective antenna structures
14. Prospective wireless communication services
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction, basic concepts
2. Calculations of basic propagation parameters
3. RF planning tools, usage of ITU-R recommendations
4. Design of an empirical model - project I.
5. Indoor coverage measurement - experiment
6. Measurement data processing, calibration of the empirical model
7. HF link design for a distance over 4000 km - project II.
8. Ionosphere, ionograms
9. Sky wave propagation
10. HF links
11. Interference analysis for terrestrial links - project III.
12. Propagation of interfering signals in the troposphere
13. Interference calculation according to ITU-R recommendations
14. Presentations of projects results
- Study Objective:
The goal of the course is to teach the student to design basic types of wireless links from the antennas and propagation point of view, including interference analyses for both fixed links and radio networks and frequency coordination.
- Study materials:
 Freeman, R.L., Radio System Design for Telecommunications, 3rd Edition, Wiley, 2007.
 Barclay L.W., Propagation of Radiowaves, 2nd edition, IEE, 2003.
 ITU-R Recommendations.
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: