Distributed Systems and Computer Networks
- Jiří Novák (guarantor)
- Tomáš Pospíšil
- Department of Measurement
Subject is devoted to principles and technologies of distributed systems (DS) and to their employment in typical applications. Physical layer media, analog and digital modulations, DS topologies, MAC methods, coding and cryptography basics are introduced. Widely used standard systems are then presented together with their features. Internet protocols are explained and internetworking approaches presented. Finally the typical industrial applications of distributed systems are introduced.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction, basic terms definition, ISO/OSI model, layer functionality
2. Metallic, optic a wireless physical media, features and application parameters
3. Analog and digital modulations, principles, features and applications
4. MAC methods and their characteristics, data transfer types, channel capacity sharing, physical and logical topologies
5. Channel coding, error detection and correction coding, symmetric and asymmetric ciphering, digital signature
6. Computer networks (particularly IEEE 802.3), versions, active elements, deterministic scheduling
7. Industrial distributed systems (FF, CANopen, Profibus, ), specific features and applications
8. Wireless networks I (IEEE 802.11, IEEE 802.16)
9. Wireless networks II (IEEE 802.15, ZigBee, Bluetooth, RFID)
10. Networks and modems (PSTN, xDSL, GSM, PLC, cable, radio), parameters and applications
11. Internetworking, routing in local networks, data flow control methods
12. TCP/IP basics (ARP, RARP, DNS )
13. Session and presentation layer protocols
14. Distributed systems applications (data and communication networks, control systems, geographically distributed DAQ systems, vehicle and airplane networks), EMC
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction, safety in laboratory, presentation of laboratory tasks.
2. Modem communication
3. Frequency spectra of modulated signals.
4. Fiber optics parameters measurement.
5. Evaluation of EIA-485 based communication channel.
6. Modular optical telemetry system.
7. Digital modulations and protocols for wireless networks.
8. Wireless sensor network signal coverage prediction and verification.
9. Evaluation of CAN based distributed system.
10. Power line communication.
11. Simulation of communication channel in Matlab environment.
12. Evaluation of the ZigBee network.
13. Deterministic communication in Ethernet networks.
14. Evaluation, assessment.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
 Halsall, F.: Data Communications, Computer Networks and Open Systems, Adison Wesley 1996, ISBN 978-0201422931
 Elsenpeter, R.C.: Optical Networking, McGraw-Hill 2001, ISBN 978-0072193985
 Sohraby, K.: Wireless. Sensor Networks: Technology, Protocols and Applications, John Wiley & Sons 2007, ISBN 978-0471743002
- Further information:
- Time-table for winter semester 2018/2019:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2018/2019:
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Otevřená informatika - Počítačové systémy (compulsory course in the program)
- Otevřená informatika - Informatika a počítačové vědy (compulsory course in the program)
- Otevřená informatika - Softwarové systémy (compulsory course in the program)
- Cybernetics and Robotics - Robotics (elective course)
- Cybernetics and Robotics - Senzors and Instrumention (elective course)
- Cybernetics and Robotics - Systems and Control (elective course)
- Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering and Management - Applied Electrical Engineering (elective course)
- Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering and Management - Electrical Engineering and Management (elective course)
- Communications, Multimedia and Electronics - Communication Technology (elective course)
- Communications, Multimedia and Electronics - Multimedia Technology (elective course)
- Communications, Multimedia and Electronics - Applied Electronics (elective course)
- Communications, Multimedia and Electronics - Network and Information Technology (elective course)
- Open Informatics - Computer Systems (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Otevřená informatika - před rozřazením do oborů (compulsory course in the program)
- Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering and Management (elective course)
- Communications, Multimedia and Electronics (elective course)
- Cybernetics and Robotics (elective course)
- Communications, Multimedia and Electronics - Communications and Electronics (elective course)