Optical Systems and Networks
|A2M32OSS||Z,ZK||5||2P + 2L||Czech|
- Department of Telecommunications Engineering
The course deals with the use of optical radiation for the transmission of information. The aim is to acquaint students with the functions of important components used in an advanced optical communication systems and networks. Students will learn how to design practical optical fiber link and the network. Students will receive theoretical knowledge for the implementation of a all-optical photonic networks in the future, which will be based on a combination of wavelength multiplex with an all-optical switching.
Final examination + assessment.
Conditions for credits:
1. 100 % participation in the exercises - the make-up measurement in the case of acceptable excuse, as agreed with the teacher
2. Preparation of reports on particular measurements during exercises
3. Successful completion of the final test
Exam will be carried out in a form of a rated test with a maximum of 30 points. The valid credit is prerequisite for an exam. Evaluation is of 80% Exam and 20% of practice.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Benefits of optical fiber technology. Factors influencing the development of FTTx technology.
2. Components and blocks of optical communication systems, CWDM and DWDM systems. FWM in systems with WDM.
3. Technical specification for Passive Optical Networks (PON) by ITU-T and IEEE.
4. Fiber's attenuation. Optical Time Domain Reflectometry method for testing optical paths.
5. Optical amplifiers: Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifier (EDFA), Raman amplifiers, Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers (SOA).
6. The problem of dispersion in optical fibers (chromatic dispersion, Polarization Mode Dispersion).
7. ITU-T recommendations for fiber optics (permittalbe attenuation, dispersion, modal regimes).
8. Manufacturing of optical fibers and cables, optical splices and connectors, fiber splicing.
9. Sources of optical radiation. Fabry-Perot laser, DFB laser, LED diode.
10. Photodetectors used in telecommunication systems. PIN diode. Spectral analyzer.
11. Modulation formats. MZI modulator. Optical couplers and filters gratings, all-optical interferometric switches.
12. Optical sensors and sensoric networks. Fiber-optic interferometric sensors.
13. Trends in optoelectronics. Special optical fibers: Photonic Crystal Fibers.
14. The summary for examination. Presentation of semestral projects.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. Introduction to opto-electronic communications, safety in the laboratory, splitting into working groups
2. Theoretical preparation for slicing of optical fibers
3. Optical fiber splicing
4. Theory of fibers and the numerical aperture
5. Measuremnt of the numerical aperture of optical fibers
6. Theory and function of OTDR and methods of optical fiber attenuation measurement
7. Measurement of optical fiber attenuation using backscatter (OTDR)
8. Direct measurement method of optical fiber attenuation
9. Theory of optical amplifiers and principles of their measurement
10. Optical signal regeneration using optical amplifier
11. Theory of optical couplers and preparation for their measurements
12. Measurement of fundamental parameters of optical couplers
13. Test, credit
- Study Objective:
The course deals with the use of optical radiation for the transmission of information. The aim is to acquaint students with the functions of important components used in advanced optical communications systems and networks. Students will learn how to design practical optical fiber link and the network. Students will receive theoretical knowledge for implementation of future optical photonic networks, which will be based on combination of wavelength multiplexing with an all-optical switching.
- Study materials:
R. Freeman:Fiber Optic Systems for Telecommunications, Wiley series in telecommunications and signal procesing, 2002, ISBN 0-471-41477-8
John M. Senior: Optical Communications Principles and Practise. Prentice Hall, 1992, ISBN 0-13-635426-2
Gagliardi, R. M. - Karp, S.: Optical Communications. John Wiley @ Sons, Inc., 1995, ISBN 0-12-471-54287-3
Kaminow, I. P. - Koch, T. L.: Optical Telecommunication III A. Academic Press, 1997, ISBN-0-12-395170-4
Kaminow, I. P. - Koch, T. L.: Optical Telecommunication III B. Academic Press, 1997, ISBN-0-12-395171-2
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Inteligentní budovy (elective course)
- Kybernetika a robotika - Robotika (elective course)
- Kybernetika a robotika - Senzory a přístrojová technika (elective course)
- Kybernetika a robotika - Systémy a řízení (elective course)
- Elektrotechnika, energetika a management - Technologické systémy (elective course)
- Elektrotechnika, energetika a management - Elektrické stroje, přístroje a pohony (elective course)
- Elektrotechnika, energetika a management - Elektroenergetika (elective course)
- Elektrotechnika, energetika a management - Ekonomika a řízení energetiky (elective course)
- Elektrotechnika, energetika a management - Ekonomika a řízení elektrotechniky (elective course)
- Komunikace, multimédia a elektronika - Sítě elektronických komunikací (compulsory course of the specialization)
- Kybernetika a robotika - Letecké a kosmické systémy (elective course)