- Department of Microelectronics
Aplication of TCAD (Technology Computer Aided Design) tools in analysis and design of basic electron devices. Principle of process and device simulation of semiconductor devices. Parameter extraction for compact models. Circuit simulation and compact models. Basic models and their application. Training on SUN workstations in standard environment in the frame of simulation the basic semiconductor devices of integrated circuits (diode, BJT, MOSFET) in conjunction with higher-level TCAD tools.
Work-out and computer presentation of three semestral projects.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. TCAD, basic principles, available tools, application capabilities.
2. Device simulation. Basic semiconductor equations and models.
3. Numerical methods in TCAD. Principles, implementation, practical aspects.
4. Poisson and continuity equations. Drift-diffusion approximation.
5. SRH model. Auger, optical, and surface recombination.
6. Avalanche breakdown. Impact ionization. Carrier mobility, bandgap narrowing.
7. Boundary conditions. Ohmic and Schottky contacts. Semiconductor-insulator.
8. Mixed mode simulation.
9. Compact models of bipolar devices. Large and small-signal models.
10. Diode and BJT. Parameter extraction for compact models.
11. Compact models of unipolar devices. Large and small-signal models.
12. MOSFET. Parameter extraction for compact models.
13. Process simulation. Basic models and their application.
14. Ion implantation. Diffusion, oxidation. Basic models and their application.
- Syllabus of tutorials:
1. SUN platform and UNIX. Simulation environment DECKBUILD - introduction.
2. PN junction diode. Input deck for simulation. Debugging.
3. Simulation of forward, reverse and reverse recovery characteristics of a diode.
4. Project I. - diode simulation. Gummel plot. Parameter extraction.
5. Bipolar junction transistor - BJT. Input deck for dc simulation (I-V curves). Debugging.
6. Strategy of BJT design in the frame of device simulation.
7. Project II. - design of BJT simulation. Breakdown voltage, Gummel plot.
8. Project II. - debugging of BJT simulation. Parameter extraction.
9. MOSFET simulation. Input deck for dc characteristics. Debugging.
10. Project III. Design of MOSFET simulation. Threshold and breakdown voltage.
11. Strategy of MOSFET design in the frame of device simulation.
12. Project III. - simulation of MOSFET. Parameter extraction.
13. Preparation of projects for presentation. Processing of results.
14. Presentation of individual projects. Acknowledgement.
- Study Objective:
- Study materials:
1. Selberherr S.: Analysis and Simulation of Semiconductor Devices. Springer, 1984
2. Mouthaan T.: Semiconductor devices Explained. Wiley, 1999
3. ATLAS User's Manual, SILVACO Int., Santa Clara, 2000
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans: