Functional Integral 1
- Department of Physics
The lecture provides an introduction into quantum field theory. The actual treatment is provided by means of functional integrals. Central part of the lecture revolves around particle physics. In this connection, the quantization of simple systems (scalar fields, fermionic fields and gauge fields) is outlined and the corresponding perturbation treatment of Green's function is discussed via Feynman integrals. We further cover topics such as quantum field theory at finite temperature, renormalization group methods and spontaneous breakdown of symmetry. Essential part of the lecture consists of the problem solving. Handouts are provided.
Knowledge of basic course of physics, quantum mechanics and passing of subject 02DRI - Path integral
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Construction of actions for relativistic spinless particles and relativistic bosonic string, Discussion of symmetries for Wheeler actions of nonrelativistic particle and Polyakov action for bosonic strings.
2. Quantisation of relativistic particle and worldline reprezentation of Klein-Gordon propagator. Quantisation of bosonic string by Polyakov method.
3.Introduction to quantum field theory, Klein-Gordon field and quartic potential, perturbative calculation
4. Quantisation of Direc field, quartic potential and perturbative calculation
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Quantization of systems using functional integral method, construction of Green functions and quantum field theory
Orientation in methods of solving field systems using functional integral
- Study materials:
 H. Kleinert, Particles and Quantum Fields, (World Scientific, London, 2017)
 H. Kleinert, Path Integrals in Quantum Mechanics, Statistics, Polymer Physics and Financial markets, (World Scientific, Singapore, 2014)
 J. Zinn-Justin, Quantum Field Theory and Critical Phenomena, (Claredon Press, Oxford, 2002)
- Further information:
- No time-table has been prepared for this course
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Experimentální jaderná a částicová fyzika (elective course)