Dosimetry and Radioactivity of the Environment
- Lenka Thinová (guarantor)
- Department of Dosimetry and Application of Ionizing Radiation
The curriculum provides complex overview of individual components in public irradiation. Included are information, methods of measurement and dose calculations for each individual source of ionizing radiation. It gives outline of quatities, physical units, effective dose calculations, cost benefit etc. Explained are also predispositions for realization and subsequently for possibilities and types of remediation.
The basic knowledge from dosimetry and detection of the ionizing radiation.
- Syllabus of lectures:
1. Introduction, variables and units, kegislation aroud the world and in CR.
2. Basic laws and recommendations basic allocation of the ionizing radiation sources
3. The effective dose calculation in generally; the introduction to the aerosol technology; cost benefit; the examples of doses calculation.
4. The cosmic radiation; the origin, measurement and dose from cosmic radiation calculation.
5. Terrestrial radiation - dose calculation.
6. Internal contamination, models for internal contamination calculation.
7. NORM, TENORM
8. Radioactive objects and contamination of the environment; old loading, radioactive fallout, radionuclides form nuclear facilities.
9. Repeating lecture - calculations, examples in connection with the matter lectured on.
10. The physics of radon; ERC, equilibrium factor, attached and unattached fraction, WLM...
11. Radon in soil gas; patterns and types of measurement; radon risk at the building site; international comparison sites.
12. Diagnostic methods; data analysis methods
13. Remediation techniques
14. Dose from radon, Radon risk, low doses theory
- Syllabus of tutorials:
- Study Objective:
Comprehension of individual ionizing radiation sources and evaluation of their relevance from radiation protection point of view. Knowledge of measurement methods and relationship between measured variables and calculated values.
Complex overview of individual components causing public irradiation and ability to determine effective dose .
- Study materials:
 Colective of authors: Principles ans practical of the radiation protection. SUJB, 2000.(in Czech)
 Publication about radiation protection No. 307/2002 Sb. in statutes at publication No. 499/2005 Sb. (in Czech)
 ČSN ISO 31-09 Quantities and units - Volume 9: Atomic and nuclear physics 1996.(in Czech)
 ČSN ISO 31-10 Quantities and units - Volume 10: Nuclear interactions and ionizing radiation 1996.(in Czech)
 Nazaroff W. W., Nero A.V.: Radon and its decay products in indoor air. New York, John Wiley, 1988.
 IAEA: Radiation Protection Against Radon in Workplaces other than Mines. IAEA, Vienna, 2003.
 WHO: Radon and health. Information sheet, WHO, 2004.
 ICRP Recommendation 103.
 Radiation, People and the Environment. IAEA 2004.
 Schery, S.: Understanding Radioactive Aerosols and their Measurement. Kluwer Academic Publisher 2001.
 ICRP Publication 66: Human respiratory tract model for radiological protection.
 Hinds, W.C.: Aerosol technology. Joh Wiley and Sons. 1999.
- Time-table for winter semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- Time-table for summer semester 2020/2021:
- Time-table is not available yet
- The course is a part of the following study plans:
- Dozimetrie a aplikace ionizujícího záření (compulsory course of the specialization)